Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 247 b3 skid loader. After I shut down the

I have a cat...

I have a cat 247 b3 skid loader. After I shut down the machine after use it leaks hydraulic oil for a period of time. It does not leak when machine is in use. It drips from belly pan

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

5/22/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Based on your description I would be looking for a suction line or low-pressure return line leak.

These lines are soft hoses with only a cloth braid in them for strength. They will connect to the tank near the bottom or the return line manifold under the propel pumps.

They are usually held in place with hose clamps like the ones used on radiator hoses. The largest of the suction lines will look like a radiator hose as well.

Start by tightening the hose clamps. I have often found the hose will harden slightly and the hose clamp will not have enough clamping force to maintain its seal on the fitting.

We call these cold leaks as the hose is cold and shrinks allowing a leak and then swells when warm to seal the leak. Look carefully for trails of oil to help point to the source of the leak. Follow these trails up because the oil will be running down from the leak. If you find rubbed areas that show the cloth braiding in the hose, replace that hose as soon as possible to prevent a major leak or failure. Air that is sucked into the oil lines will also damage the pumps.

The reason the leak stops after a period of time is due to the pressure stored in the tank goes down as the oil is leaking out and is cooling down.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** sense, I'll check it out