Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2003 cat 963c so# bbd00393,appears to be operating…

I have a 2003 cat...
I have a 2003 cat 963c so# ***** to be operating correctly but is flashing a warning while driving.i have fixed several problems with this machine(rebuilt both pumps and drive motors,replaced alternator,replaced override solenoid).it has history codes in the system.i need to know how to clear those codes so I can better identify current codes. the codes I am coming up with now are;030 248.02,030 324.05,079132.08,079 133.12,079 168.04. I guess I need definitions for these codes and need to learn how to clear old codes.
e mail***@******.***
5/9/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** be glad to help. Professionals not employees of the state however we can follow up as needed on here. Please allow me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. As far as inactive codes they will go inactive meaning not trigger than warning indicator but they will still be logged in the ECM memory. You need caterpillar ET software on the laptop to clear historical codes. Which means the codes if they go inactive will still be logged in the memory however will not trigger a warning indicator or active fault unless the fault is in fact currently active.
I assume you are going to give me definitions for the codes I currently have. they are what I am paying you for. thank you.the code definitions are serial number specific not generic.thank you.
sir I am Please be aware that professionals are not employees of the site and I have been swamped I will look them up as soon as I am back to my desk. Thank you for your patienceI was field service for caterpillar and that is incorrect that fault codes are serial number specific. Some are model specific.
Sorry Dan. I understand

The 030 is the MID (Module Identifier) for the monitor ECM,
the 248 is the CID (Component Identifier) for the display panel data link,
and the 02 is the FMI (Failure Mode Identifier) for an intermittent or erratic problem.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module does not receive expected information. The following example shows a possible diagnostic code. The information from the actual gear status is not being received from other electronic control modules through the CAT data link. The information from the CAT data link indicates the abnormal values in the readout. The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below. The causes are listed in order of probability:

Poor electrical connection at a machine harness connector

The circuit for the CAT data link in the machine harness is shorted to ground.

The circuit for the CAT data link in the machine harness is shorted to the +battery.

The circuit for the CAT data link in the machine harness is open.

An electronic control module which uses the CAT data link has failed.

There may be delays in between posts due to interruptions here so no need to stand by live. My apologies as it is a busy day here.

55357;�

030 324.05 is as follows;

MID 030 - CID 0324 - FMI 05

MID means module identifier, 030 is the monitor.

CID is the component identifier, 324 is the action lamp (the big red warning light)

FMI is failure mode identifier, 05 is "Current below normal". FMI 05 occurs when the current through the identified circuit is below the
valid range. FMI 05 most often relates to a driver circuit. This can mean an open circuit.

The light bulb could be loose,missing or burnt out.

CID 0168 Electrical System

FMI 04 Voltage that is below normal or shorted low

This is triggered when the engine has been cranked hard and the battery voltage is low.

Test your charging system. This would cause the lightning bolt symbol to stay or come on. Check voltage at the batteries and from the alternator.

The monitor sends power to the alternator to turn it on but, no voltage code is on the monitor.

Power to the transmission ecm is low and that is what logged the code 079 168.04.

079 132.08,

This diagnostic code is associated with the pressure sensor (override). The FMI 08 means that the ECM has determined that the signal frequency or the signal pulse width is not within the expected range.

The output frequency of the pressure sensor is approximately 500 hertz. The duty cycle of the signal increases as the pressure of the oil increases and the duty cycle decreases as the pressure decreases. The range of the duty cycle is from 10% to 94 %.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

The sensor has failed.
Intermittent connections or poor connections
Mechanical devices are loose.
The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

079 133.12

This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM has determined that the solenoid has not responded in the proper manner.

The solenoid has failed in the high pressure position.
The machine harness has failed.
The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

NOTE: codes that are preceeded by 030 are from the monitor, 036 are from the engine and 079 are from the machine and transmission control.

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

what solenoid are you reffering to with the 079 133 12 code

079 133.12

• The solenoid has failed in the high pressure position.

• The machine harness has failed.

• The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

System Response:

When this diagnostic code occurs, a warning is shown on the monitor. The diagnostic code will cause the transmission to shift to NEUTRAL. Limited operation at a reduced speed may be performed ONLY after you return the speed/direction control lever to the PARK position.

Note: Ensure that the CID 0133 FMI 12 is on hold and that the diagnostic indicator shows "SERV CODE". The normal resistance of the coil at room temperature is 7.75 ohms. The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these diagnostic codes and clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code is corrected.

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR DIAGNOSTIC CODES THAT ARE RELATED TO THE OVERRIDE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

1. Check for diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid (CID 0133).

The related diagnostic codes are listed below:

• FMI 03

• FMI 05

• FMI 06

Expected Result:

There are no other diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid (CID 0133).

Results:

• OK - There are no other diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid (CID 0133). Proceed to Test Step 2.

• NOT OK - There are diagnostic codes that are related to CID 0133.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the procedure for other related diagnostic codes.

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE CHARGE PRESSURE

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

1. Use a 3500 kPa (500 psi) gauge to verify that the charge pressure is set to 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

1. On the manifold, connect the 3500 kPa (500 psi) gauge to the "CHG" port.

1. Turn ON the engine.

1. Run the engine at high idle.

1. Measure the charge pressure.

Expected Result:

The charge pressure is 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

Results:

• OK - The charge pressure is 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi). Proceed to Test Step 3.

• NOT OK - The charge pressure is not 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

Repair: Adjust the charge relief valve in order to set the charge pressure to 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

Stop.

Test Step 3. CHECK THE PRESSURE SENSORS.

1. Turn the key start switch to the "OFF" position.

1. Disconnect the pressure gauge that was used in the previous Test Step.

1. Check for diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

The diagnostic codes that are associated with the pressure sensors are listed below:

• CID 0136 FMI 03

• CID 0136 FMI 04

• CID 0137 FMI 03

• CID 0137 FMI 04

• CID 0132 FMI 08

Expected Result:

There are no diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

Results:

• OK - There are no diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors. Proceed to Test Step 4.

• NOT OK - There are diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic procedure for the sensor with the active diagnostic code.

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR HYDRAULIC CONTAMINATION AT THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

1. Remove the solenoid (override) from the hydraulic circuit.

1. Check the valve ports for contamination.

Expected Result:

There is no contamination.

Results:

• OK - There is no contamination. Proceed to Test Step 5.

• NOT OK - There is contamination. The contamination caused the solenoid to fail.

Repair: Replace the solenoid and service the hydraulic system.

Stop.

Test Step 5. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS

1. Connect the solenoid back to the machine.

1. Turn the disconnect switch to the ON position.

1. Start the machine.

1. Operate the machine.

1. Check if the CID 0133 FMI 12 for the solenoid is active.

Expected Result:

The CID 0133 FMI 12 for the solenoid is NOT active.

Results:

• OK - The CID 0133 FMI 12 for the solenoid is NOT active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. Resume normal operation. Stop.

• NOT OK - The CID 0133 FMI 12 for the solenoid is active. The ECM has failed.

Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the failure is not found, then replace the ECM. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

are you telling me that code 079 133 12 refers to the override solenoid? or is it another solenoid?

override solenoid

thank you.

Pleasure to help.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician