Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I want to replace my cat 3306 195hp with a cat 34506 599hp…

Customer Question
I want to replace...

I want to replace my cat 3306 195hp with a cat 34506 599hp in a cat 235 excavator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Great

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing. I am taking a cat 235 excavator and repurposing it to act as a tool carrier and hydralic power pack for a sort of pile driving machine and I need the additional hp.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not a mechenic but I have had other engine exchanges completed in some of my excavators sucessfully. I want to know if the of these tow engines will be a good canadate for exchane.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
do not have anyI have checked on the size differences of the two machines and the 3406 will fit in the cat 235The 3406 I want to buy is an industrial cat engine that has been rebuilt by a major diesiel engine suppler3406 is used but remanufactured. Fan to flywheel.
5/5/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I don't fully understand your question and I don't think we can provide an answer you are looking for.

The 235 came with a 3306. The 245 uses the 3406 and is already built for the engine and pumps and control valves.

Why not use a 245 from the start.

If you are looking for the 3456 engine, you must go to a 385 frame but, it is an all-electronic engine that will need a computer to operate it.

I have seen a 320 modified with a 245 engine and pump setup but, this thing was a nightmare of its own making. It was a Delta whole-tree grinder and was in our area for a demo. It was down more than it worked and was not sold to the customer. (Thankfully!)

The 3456 is similar to the 3406E but has a larger bore than the 3406 and can make 600 hp. I think the 3406E is limited to about 475 hp and the 3406C in machines was limited to 385 to prevent overheating. Anything you would push past those requirements would need more cooling capacity added to maintain a reasonable life on the engine. If not, the engine may not survive a year without needing another rebuild.

I have seen a few rock piling machines that were built on 325 and 330 frames and they worked fairly well. I think they would force in rock pilings down about 25 feet below the surface, maybe a little more. I can't remember who made it though. They still had electronic monitors but, the engines were not. Anything after the C model 300 series and later will have electronic engines. (and a few C models)

Let me know if this is the kind of information you are looking or if you were after something else.

the 3406 c was also manufactured by cat in a 599hp engine used on generators. l want to use the cat 235 because is light enough to haul cheaply and has no computers.i wss hopping to get some idea of what would modificstions i will have to make. to install the 3406 in my 235 excavator.
thank you. the other mechanic did not under my question.
i assume i will not be charged for the first mechanic!!!!l have made up my mind to use a cat 235 excavator for my bsse unit machine! i think a 3406 c with engine with 599hp is the correct engine to combine with the cat 235 to do what I want. My question is what problems do i face and how can l overcom them?
no emails yet?????
please have a different teck respond as agreed 2 dsys agos part of my question is if I can use a truck engine in my cat excavator?