Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

1997 753 serial#512731364 Unit has started a jerking

Customer Question
1997 753 serial#512731364...

1997 753 serial#512731364 Unit has started a jerking motion.. Left stick right turn only. I am currently replacing mechanical bushings in linkage. If this does not work, where do I look next?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

753 , 1997 year ser #512731364

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/5/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 4 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Not sure what the jerking motion you're experiencing is without seeing it first hand, but if you have a Bobcat that has a drive stick that seems to have a mind of its own going forward and backward, hard to control the drive of the machine on that stick, the first thing you need to check is the pintle arm attachment to the drive pump control shaft. The pintle arm, (one for each side, left/right) is the arm that the long flat link bars attach to back at the pumps. Bobcat used two types of pintle arms, one is a one piece arm made of aluminum, the other was a two piece (adjustable) arm made of steel, both types actually "clamp" to the square shaft that is the control shaft of the drive pump. What typically happens is the tensioning bolt that clamps the pintle arm to the control shaft comes loose, once that happens you lose control of the pump control shaft. It's not easy to view this clamp connection with the main centering plate fitted above the pintle arms, but you can typically get a good enough view with a good light and tell if those arms are loose at the pump control shaft.

I attached a pick of the one piece aluminum pintle arms with the drive centering plate removed