Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1991 d3c series 2 caterpillar bulldozer. I would…

I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 d3c series 2 caterpillar bulldozer. I would like to add oil the clutch compartments

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Great

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Drained the oil. the right side had a few gallons in it, and the left was dry

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just wondering how to add and how much

5/3/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Please let me know your machine serial number so I can be sure you get the correct information for your machine. We can follow up as needed on here
did that picture go through?
it did thank you. On top of each side of the Clutch and Brake covers there should be some hex plugs with a half-inch drive ratchet head in the center. Remove those plugs and let me know if you have a dipstick attached to them.
theres no dipstick
Thanks for the update and according to your serial number this is actually dry clutches. If you have oil in your clutches then you have seals Leaking from the center differentialFor what reason were you looking to add oil?

Usage:

D3C 1PJ 931C II 2AK 931C 2BJ D3C 3RF (D3C II 4HJ) D3C II 5CJ D3C 5KG 931C 5LG D3C II5ZG 931C II 6AJ D3C 6PF 931C 6RF 931C 7HF D3C 7JF D3C II 7JG 931C 8AF D3C 8BF D3C II 8DG 931C II 9AG

Remove Steering Clutches (Dry-Type)

nc has told me several times that they are wet... ive got a weak brake on the left side, but the one on right is the one that was full of oil
Let me know what direction can you steer in also what track will not push in heavy soil or if pushing up against a tree or loading dock. What side is slipping
mine is a 45vit pushes good in bothe directions, the clutches seem to engage and disengage just fine, just a left side brake doesnt want to grab. is there any way that i can visually see if it is supposed to be wet or dry?
Yours is 4 HJYour engine serial number is ***** you posted
ah oh.
The wet clutch only has a little bit of oil to keep the clutches and brakes cool but also uses a different part number for the friction disc as you can not put oil on the dry clutches or they will never work againUsually you can tell once you look in there and see if they are wet clutches it will look fairly clean in there. Dry clutches all will look pretty Rusty
i will say i drained about 3 gallons from the right side and the clutch works great.......
Are there any signs of external leaks on the other side
no. i have also not noticed any loss from the bevel gear section.
In either case if you are already experiencing loss of Drive on one side or slipping then you are already looking at doing the clutch and brakes. Also you will want to see if the Pistons that actuate the clutch are not leaking or stickingA common problem with these is on the steering valves at your pedals you will see valves that are supposed to have a roller on the end of the stem that win pushed then sends pressure to release the clutch well the brake holds it in position since they are spring applied. They should drive constantly unless that piston is pushed to release the clutchIf you have low pressure at one of those Pistons which you will see on the outside of the machine there was a small plug that you can tap in a pressure gaugeBut one of the first things you always check are those rollers at the end of those valves at your foot pedals as almost always they get flat spots or the Bearings in those little rollers fail. If you catch him early enough sometimes you can just buy the pin and roller and reseal the valve however if it is worn into the stem itself you will have to buy the roller and the stem to repair it as well as the seal kit.This is usually what causes premature clutch failure as once that roller gets a flat spot the clutch doesn't release all the way and then starts dragging
i already went through those, they arent worn, and i can see that somebody has adjusted the bar linkages pretty much to max. i also just called a different NC machinery, and they did say that all of their records show that "as shipped" this one was wet clutch
for right now i am only concerned about making sure i have oil in there, ill get to the brake another time

For the wet clutches the bevel gear oil level was the level for the steering clutches. However, Check for a level plug on the side of the housing near the final drive.

i have a specific dipstick for the bevel gear though right under my feet. i also have a 3/4 plug on the outside of the final.

Look on the track side instead of the rear.

the 3/4 plug?
That large plug is to access the steering clutch bolts one at a time. I am mobile at the moment please give me some time as I am nowhere where I can look this up at the moment.
okay can do

I wont have Sis access until later this evening however with your bevel gear at level and that plug removed see how far below the plug you are with a zip tie. It should be within on knuckle of the bottom of the threads.

okay.... heres the only other plug i found, its jammed so ill hae to drill it another day

Sorry for the Delay. Yes that would be the one. clean up the top with a grinder and then weld a nut onto it that fits over it. The heat will transfer and it will come out

okay i just got them out

Thanks for the update. Great news. Pleasure to help

ill be working on it a bit more soon so it would be nice to talk to the same person. i appreciate the help too. its to try to do these things in a day when you spend most of it scouring the internet

We can follow up as needed. Im not an employee of the site so I am not always able to respond until my available logins which varies on my day but will respond as able. For new issues please be sure to post a new question as professionals can only be credited once per question thread. Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.