Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2003 Bobcat 873 and I am having trouble with my…

I have a 2003 Bobcat...
I have a 2003 Bobcat 873 and I am having trouble with my bucket going up and down I get a error code of 32-59 and 32-36 and acs light come on
Answered in 1 day by:
5/4/2018
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 4 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

You have a fault with the ACS lift actuator on the spool at the main control valve that controls the lift function. Could be brushes in the ACS actuator are spent, could be a components inside the actuator is stuck, faulty potentiometer inside actuator sending faulty info to the ACS controller, could even be the spool seals have failed and contaminated the actuator with hydraulic oil. The internals of the ACS actuator are not serviceable, requires replacement of actuator. Code 32-59 is ACS Lift Actuator Wrong Direction and code 32-26 is ACS/AHC Lift Actuator Fault. The first thing I'd do is unplug the Deutsch connector at the lift actuator and the tilt actuator and swap them, see if you now get a code 32-60 tilt actuator wrong direction and code 32-31 tilt actuator fault. If you do, most likely just a faulty actuator on the lift spool and will require replacement. As far as I know the only source for these parts is Bobcat. I hope this helps with your issue

BTW, on that particular model, the 873, be sure and inspect the loader arms for cracks, especially in the area where that strut attaches to the loader arms forward of lift cylinder attachment. That model was Bobcat's first attempt at a vertical lift design as opposed to a radial lift and they had a propensity for cracks in the loader arms. That's when Bobcat re-designed the vertical lift loader arms to what you would find on the later G series machines. I've seen owners not watch out for the loader arms on those models and get cracks in them until the loader arms break. Just a heads up.

I have the G model. So I took the actuators off and the lift actuator has fluid in it I can see where the brown seal is leaking. How do I change that out?

Well, I had a feeling we'd be going there, it's a very common issue with Bobcat control valves of all models. It's not a hard task to do aside from pretty much everything is a PITA to get to. If you've figured out how to remove the actuator then you're more than capable of doing the re-seal. With the actuator and components removed on the front end of the valve spool, go to the back end. Both the lift and tilt spools have a aluminum cover securing the centering spring on the back end of the spools, and originally had a colored vinyl cap on the end of the caps if they're still there, if so, remove the vinyl caps.

On the lift spool you should have an E clip on the back of the spool cap, carefully remove that E clip so it doesn't take flight and disappear (done that before). Remove the two allen head cap screws that secure the aluminum cap to the valve body. Gently pull the cap away from the spool verifying that the stem you removed the E clip from slips out of the hole in the cap. If you succeed with this, removal of the cap, you'll see the spools centering spring and the float detent assembly at the very end of the spool. While handling that spool be sure and don't pull that detent assembly apart or 4 steel balls and two spring will go in all directions. Grasp the centering spring and gently pull the entire spool assembly out of the backside of the control valve. Some Bobcat models require either removing obstructions or shifting hoses to facilitate removal of spool, not unusual to run into that, but I typically find a way to get that spool out.

Once you get the spool out, remove the seal at the front of the valve. The seal on the rear of the valve spool should have come out with the spool. Simply slip the rear seal down the length of the spool to remove it, then gently slip a new seal down the length of the spool until it's all the way down. Be sure and turn the lip side of the u-cup seals inward toward the valve body. With rear seal fitted, apply a little grease lube to the seal, slip spool back into the control valve until seal contacts control valve and give the spool a little pushing pressure and the seal should pop right in the control valve. Re-assemble the removed rear cap. With that done, slip a new seal on the front of the spool with a little lube, slip the retainer plate with new o-ring onto the spool until it contacts the seal and give it a push in to push the seal into place in the valve body. Re-assemble attachment of actuator and any other removed components.

Same process for doing tilt spool but you don't have a detent assy to deal with on that spool. Might as well do both of them while you're in there or you'll be using swear words in a short time 'cause you didn't re-seal the tilt spool while you were in there.

Put it all back together but still getting asc light and nothing works

Your original post stated you were having problem with bucket going up and down, I assumed that meant you could still tilt the bucket, was I wrong assuming that and instead none of the loader functions work? What about the auxiliary functions, do they work?

auxiliary fictions are working
Bucket tilt not working?
As soon as I turn the key on the light comes on and it dose not lift or tilt.
Do you have new codes that you didn't have before?My ART Uverse box went down, I'm trying to wing this on my phone, ugggg

Finally got back online, geeezzz, already have a brother in the hospital that I'm dealing with, and forever busy doing home improvement work, I'm lucky to sit down and get online by 9 pm, then my internet goes down, arggggggg! I'm puzzled, you originally had codes that indicated problem with lift actuator only, nothing about tilt or tilt actuator. Now you have nothing working. What the heck happened???

Ok her I the break down from th beginning. It all started with the bucket not lifting properly, I would have to wiggle the joystick side to side rapidly a bunch if times then it would lift. Sometimes once would do it then it would be fine to use the rest of the day the tilt had no problem. Then it started getting worse on the lift I would have to keep turning machine off and do the whole wiggleining thing agin and again. Then I noticed a leak coming from the bottom of the machine so I opened the acces panel to see the actuators since the acs light kept coming on and saw fluid dripping from the lift actuator. I took both actuators off and they both had fluid in them but I think the only seal leaking was thenspool seal at the lift actuator but it got into the tilt actuator because the tilt actuator electrical cap on the back of it was off for som reason. So I took both actuators apart and cleaned them up and put them back together, I put power to them and they both moved in and out with no problem before I reinstalled them. So I went to bobcat and picked up new spool seals and replaced all 4 front and back and yes the lift front seal was shot. I put everything back together, refilled fluids and gave it a try. As soon as I turn the key to run I hear on actuator move a little then the acs light comes on and no lift or tilt.

Just now sitting down at my computer. I can't wait to get back to work, I do less work there than I do at home! Ok, I'm trying to figure out what version your machine is. You stated it was a G series. Do you get error codes in the hour meter display on the left panel? Are we getting any error codes now, we should since the ACS light is coming on, at least every G series I've worked on does. On the G series machines if there were an error in electrical components monitored by the main controller they sound three short beeps from the alarm. Those beeps indicate an active code, and unlike automotive OBDII systems the Bobcat system doesn't store codes, they only work with active codes, as soon as you shut the machine down everything re-sets to a blank slate as far as codes go

I get a 32-34 and a 32-39 codeWhen I turn the key to run I can hear the actuator make a noise then the acá light comes on

The codes indicate the actuators, both lift and tilt, are not centered when you when you power up the machine, it may simply be you need to calibrate the ACS system. Do you have hand controls only or both hand and foot controls?

Hand contro only

The procedure I always used for hand controls only: Ignition off, seat bar down, stroke both handles fully inward, I used a bungee cord to do this to free up my hands. Turn ignition key on (keyless panel push run/enter button). Push the "Press to Operate" button. The actuators will then go thought their calibration process. After a moment of this, release the handles to center. ACS will then cycle the actuators, about 5 seconds, calibration is complete. Shut off ignition, it should be good to go if calibration was the problem.

I have tried that but it dose nothing like I said as soon as I turn the key the light come on and wit dose not cycle at all

Yes, the ACS light would be on as soon you turn on the key because it's seeing things are not centered, that's for sure, but the calibration procedure starts with key off and handles pulled fully inward. If you've done the calibration process and still have a no go then you have issues that's very difficult for me to diagnose not being with the machine. Could be faulty handle switches, which I don't think is the issue, could be faulty ACS controller, common problem, but one I can't troubleshoot, one of those things Bobcat keeps close secrets about. It's just strange to me that you started off with lift problems, now both functions, lift/tilt, throw codes for both functions not centered on power up, that indicates a calibration issue. But if you've done the calibration and still no go, we're back to Bobcat troubleshooting the ACS controller, the "top secret" area of Bobcat. I've done all can do to help with your problem, I'm saddened we didn't solve this. Don't bother giving me a rating and I won't get paid, which is appropriate in my mind as I didn't solve your problem. I don't care about getting paid, I only care about getting your machine working

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager