Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1749 that has about 350 hours. I have notice a

Customer Question
I have a 1749...

I have a 1749 that has about 350 hours. I have notice a decrease in power. First i replaced fuel filters and some power returned but. I can not even climb a 4 foot bank in high 4 now. do you have any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will have to get that tomorrow. Do you have any ideas its a 1749 shuttle shift

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

1749 Massey? Check the fuel line from the tank, that goes to the fuel filter, the fitting where the hose attaches to the filter is a prime spot for debris to accumulate and restrict the fuel supply to the injection pump.

Okay I'll pass that on to my car guy that has my tractor. Does it sound like fuel restriction problem. I did start slowly of two days. When I changed filters it did have bad trash . Then I drove it about 1/2 mile went through all low and high gears. Rpms up to 2500. Still can get Rpms up to 2500

Yes, fuel restriction is the likely suspect, and the hose from the tank to the first filter is the place to look.

Will you be able to talk tomorrow when my friend is at his shop with the tractor

I have /dr appointment in AM, would be available after. May be 1:00.?

Thanks central?

Yes, Texas

Just got off phone with my car mechanic that is helping me. He said filters fixed the engine problem. That the issue seems to be in hydrostatics. He can bushhog with it in 3 1/2 foot grass low 2 no problem low 4 engine still good no power

OK< When was the hydrostat last serviced?Filters and oil?

I had problems with front end under warranty they said they serviced hydraulics but I do not trust there service department there have been issues in the past that I think they make up problems. For instance if you change a new part and there are no marks on old bolts still there they did not take part off
Would it be worth new hydronic filter and add oil, it is bottom of eye glass to change. What kind of hydronic fluid does it take.

The hydrostat rarely gives a loss of power, and as long as it has clean oil the filters usually don't cause problems. I still lean to the engine fuel system. From may years of being around diesel, loss of power is always the fuel system! Use the oil that the owners manual calls for, There is a Massey spec, and will be a hytrans fluid.

Thank you! We will check that first

Thank you!