Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How do I removed the track adjuster assembly on a 1994

How do I removed...

How do I removed the track adjuster assembly on a 1994 Hitachi EX-120-2 excavator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Need help with a Hitachi EX-120 excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Tried ourself but need more specific information

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what We said in our first request

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/30/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Give me some time to review your info and follow up with my responses. We can follow up as needed on here.

Fine
For the track adjuster what you need to do is raise the side that you working on using the excavator and crib it up safely on that side so the track is slightly off the ground. Ideally you would remove three to four track pads at the front idler. Also loosen the fitting for grease to allow the grease to come out of the adjuster and the adjuster to retract. If you have to help it a little bit with a block of wood with the bucket pushing against The Idler to push it in all the way then you may have to do that. Now one way is to remove a track pin to completely separate the track Above The Idler to allow the whole idler and coil spring assembly to slide out of the front of the track frame. The other way if you don't have access to a track press is to remove maybe a few more track pads and then just slide it over like a bicycle chain off of The Idler to leave enough room. Please remember to reply back with the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Once you have remove the complete assembly you can then work on the adjuster to reseal it. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. We can follow-up is needed as I mentioned. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Will have to work on it tomorrow as too late to try your suggestion tonite. Will reply then.
Pleasure to help
It will not slide out. Any suggestions to free it up?
Won't move at all or getting caught on a stop?The idler or the adjuster piston?
If you're referring to the adjuster assembly Pump It full of grease until the Piston comes out or use air pressure
Dan, Technician
Adjuster - will try your suggestions.
Track adjuster assembly will not come out. Grease and air just leak out around it
It was rusted in and packed with sand - did get it out by wiggling it back and forth many times.
I did rate the service and site said thsnks for rating Dan
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got this resolved and it has been a pleasure to help.