Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Caterpillar (Perkins) 3054E with a Bosch VP30 injector pump,

will not start, cold or...
Caterpillar (Perkins) 3054E with a Bosch VP30 injector pump, will not start, cold or hot without a shot of ether. Once started, runs fine no smoke, handles load fine. Shut it down, 10 seconds later try to restart, nothing with out a shot of ether again. This engine has a display which lets you check for faults, no active, no stored codes. This engine is on a wood chipper, with the engine running, engage the PTO to spin the drum up. Disengage the PTO, shut the engine down, turn the key on, bump the PTO to momentarily engage it and the engine starts, no problem. Had a lift pump failure a few months ago, and replace same. When the engine started the no start problem, the owner changed the pump again, with no change. Things that have been done: lift pump replaced with new OEM. Injector pump replaced with a rebuilt pump. ( Known to ingest parts from failed lift pump causing internal problems). located all grounds on the engine and battery, cleaned and reinstalled them. Been waiting for 3 days for a call back from Caterpillar with multiple calls to them and nothing from them.
4/14/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. First since you've already had lift pump problems on this machine I would put a clear line or a site glass on the suction side and the return side to monitor for air bubbles. Also I would verify good and steady fuel pressure. This will help determine whether or not you are sucking air or still have a fuel supply problem or aeration in the fuel system on either the section or the return side. If on the suction side you will want to check for leaks in the lines are your filters etc. If not on the section side but on the return side you will want to check after the injection pump 4 problems. If that checks out okay you will want to check electronically whether or not the injection pump is being commanded on for the injectors to inject fuel.. check all your fuses and relays for a possible loss of power to the ECM etc. If that checks okay also verify you have engine speed signal. If all checks out for supply to the pump and signal for the pump to inject fuel and there are no leaks or restrictions you could have a faulty injection pump. Reply back with the results of my checks as we can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Forgot to include the air bubble check, that was one of the first checks, pulled the return line off the fuel tank and put it in a clear container to check for bubbles, there where none. Do you have the spec for what the fuel pressure should be from the lift pump? Also, keep in mind this is the second functioning lift pump on this engine since this problem developed. I am getting speed signal, the muli purpose display is a tach also and I get about 250 RPM during cranking. There is a second prox switch in the flywheel that feeds the logic for the power feed chipper, and the RPM on that gauge matches the engine gauge. All fuses are good, I haven't tested all the relays yet. Brand "new" remanufactured injector pump on the engine with no change in symptoms.
What is the make and model of your chipper? Also can you get me the engine serial number prefix?
Arrangement number is(###) ###-#### serial number 30405063. It is a bandit "hand feed" chipper, will get back to you shortly with the model #
Bandit model 250XP chipper.
UPDATE: The darn machine is running fine now. I guess it was some sort of gremlin that has left the machine.
Thanks for the update. I would get whatever work done you need to get done while it's running and then when you are finished your job and you have time to mess with it I would do a wiggle test on the wiring harness close to any connectors or connector pins and try to manipulate the wiring in such a way that might duplicate this problem. It could have been just a poor connection under certain conditions that has resolved itself. Keep me posted and let me know if you need further help with this. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site.
Dan, Technician