Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

257 cat run fine the other day then tried it today and left…

257 cat run fine...

257 cat run fine the other day then tried it today and left track will not move

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 00257ccmm00537 Model 257

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing my self just starting to find a place to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Bucket and everything else works fine including the right track

Answered in 1 day by:
4/10/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If the problem is isolated only to one travel motor then it is possible that you have a failed Drive motor. The first thing you are going to want to check is inside the hydraulic filter for fine metal or debris. This will look like glitter in the oil and filter. If found the system will need to be completely flushed out before running a new component. On the drive motor there will be a case drain port or return oil port. This low pressure case drain will need to be disconnected and a hose run into a bucket while against a tree or loading dock to prevent travel while testing. Slowly and gauge the travel and monitor the oil from the case train or return from that drive motor. It should be a low volume or trickle of oil. If it comes out under high pressure or volume it is that drive is bad. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Dan, Technician