Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My CAT D3C 1990 model has the typical problem. Main Drive…

My CAT D3C 1990...

My CAT D3C 1990 model has the typical problem. Main Drive Clutch pulls the tractor and it pushes just fine for about an hour or less. After it heats up it stutters and eventually stops completely. It steers ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D3C 08BF00223

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is all

4/5/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the filters 4 signs of debris or trash that weed indicate a potential pump or component failure occurring. If clean then check your Clutch and Brake adjustments to be sure that they're both even on both sides and when you look at the rollers on the steering valves that the rollers do not have flat spots and Warren that will cause the clutch is not to fully disengage eventually burning out the brakes and clutches. Under the floor there will be the steering valves in the common problem on these machines were the rollers on the end of the spools getting flat spots from sticking or coming apart. This in turn would cause the spool not to fully engage so it would allow the brakes and clutch to drag and slip causing them to heat up and fail as I mentioned. Take a close look at the linkage and the valves has and let me know the results. Also be sure that the linkage is even on both sides. Respond back with the results and let me know if we need to dig deeper into this as we can follow up as needed. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks, I'll get back to you with our findings.
Pleasure to help

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician