Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 310d Deere backhoe with a transmission problem. I…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 310d...
Hello. I have a 310d John Deere backhoe with a transmission problem. I was having a problem with what I thought was clutch slipping but not sure anymore. Here is what I have done . I have went through it and replaced all the seals and O-rings and clutches and plates and torque converter. And put it back together same thing. Pulled it down again and replaced another seal on a shaft that thought it looked a little chipped. Put transmission back in and still same thing. Here is what it's doing when the oil is cold like right when you start it you can go in first gear but as soon as the oil warms up you cannot move at all in forward. But reverse works good all the time even when it warms up. I would have thought it was a seal on the piston.. Is there something I am overlooking.? What are your thoughts. Thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/3/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Have you ran a pressure test on both clutches?? Did you air check the clutches before reassembling? Is the forward spool in the control valve moving full travel to engage forward? Does the kick out/ declutch valve work?

I did not air check the clutches. I forgot to mention I replaced the stem and the spools forward and reverse as well and when I hit the button for the De clutch everything stops. I don't know exactly where and what pressures it is supposed to have but I did find some plugs on the outside of the transmission housing and only one had 50 psi the others had zero. I would have to check again where the plug was that had the 50 psi. Do you have a diagram of what plugs do what and the pressures ? Thanks

No, but pressures need to be around 200 psi. Should be a common port on the control valve that clutch pressure can be read and as both f/r is shifted would change from forward to reverse. This is an electric shifter and has solenoid valves for f/r shift. Deere makes three different types. Are the solenoids stacked, or side by side? Can the f.r solenoids be swapped?

I see the question is still open.?

Sorry for the delay. Work on the backhoe again and the little ports on the outside which I assume is the test ports all of them showed zero PSI besides one on the left hand side came up to 50 psi as soon as machine was started and would not make any difference if you move the f-r lever in any direction . Tried moving the f-r lever in all ports and no pressure.. Does this help you any?
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago

It will not work with 50 psi. But with zero pressure on the other ports, still makes me wonder if the declutch is not stuck open, bypassing all the fluid. The pump has to put out more pressure, 180 to 200 would be acceptable, and the pump is turned by the torque converter, Yo had all that out, did you look at the pump condition

I never had the pump apart.. but I'm still in question why reverse works just fine but forward does not.. Does it take less pressure in reverse?

It should take the same pressure for reverse or forward, but it would appear you may have 50 in reverse, which could close the and hold the clutch.

The 50 psi is their as soon as you start the machine in neutral. And stays their in no matter what you are in

Then you have a bad pump.

does the reverse work off an other pump?

Same pump.

can you explain why you think its the pump? Not that I'm doubting you I would like to know why you think so

You have no pressure above 50 psi. You say it's not a declutch stuck open. And with no pressure in any other port, I see nothing else it could be.

Ok.. Got 1 ordered.. let you know when I get it in.. thanks

OK>