Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have E70B cat excavator i have oil in my water, the

Customer Question
I have E70B cat...

I have E70B cat excavator i have oil in my water , the machine does not seam to be loseing engine oil at all . no water in engine oil. a man told me that it was the oil cooler i have this taken it off and i dont understand how this could be the problem the oil cooler radiator only has oil going to it so how could it mix together . If anyone could help me I would be great thanks stephen

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
my machine has air to oil cooler like a radiator in front of the water radiator
4/1/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Can you please post the machine and engine serial numbers?

Are you saying he has already replaced the engine oil cooler?

The oil cooler in front of the radiator is for the hydraulic system and has no connections to the engine cooling system.

Was the radiator flush thoroughly with a cleaner/degreaser? What color is the coolant now?

How long does it take to overfill the cooling system and start leaking?

serial number is ***** Pin # 7yf03605 engine # 4D32 we have this tanken it apart I have not installed the new oil cooler yet the old one looks great no leaks can be found . the engine is is completely clean no water and i cant find water in the hydro oil ether. I put 1 quote of in in machine in july and it has ran about 40 hrs since and it has not used any engine oil .

If you wish to talk to someone I will OPT-OUT. I am not set up for phone calls and I cannot stop the site form displaying that button.

Sorry for the inconvenience

no i wish to keep going with you
can you still help me now

Engine oil pressure is 30 to 60 psi.

Engine coolant is only 7 psi.

If any failure that can happen will be engine oil in the coolant.

Hydraulic oil cannot get in coolant.

Coolant cannot get in the hydraulic oil.

head gasket ?? its the only way correct ??

No, the engine oil cooler is the most common failure for engine oil to get in the coolant.

What color is your coolant?

it looks like gray gue milk shake some , but when i drained the radiator the fluid look green its gray flotting at cap and at bottom of radiator when i pulled bottom water line off
where is the engine cooler at and what does it look like
ok do you know where I can buy one on line

No, and I don't think I would trust one from an online source.

Have you tried your CAT dealer?

Have you flushed the cooling system with cleaner several times to see if the leak is still present?

no i have not flushed it . I was waiting to see what you where thanking . if there is oil there it means that it is leaking right
do you know where i can get the pic you sent me with the part numbers on it

This version has many O-rings, have you tried resealing it?

I can get you the numbers. Please stand by.

no i didnt know it had a oil cooler for the engine my machenic is 5 weeks out right now trying to do this my self

I cannot say this is the correct one for your machine as your serial number does not appear in my search.

However, this is the latest for this type engine and should be close.

can it be rebuilt or will i need to buy new one

If you are not losing coolant or engine oil and the only evidence you have is just some oil in the radiator, I would flush the cooling system several times with a degreaser/cleaner and water. Then run the machine and monitor the coolant for a few days.

This type looks to have a replaceable element. It may be worth trying the o-ring first but, the coolers can have issues. If one is available at a reasonable price, I would just replace the element or the assembly, depending on what you can get.

These are old machines and parts are getting very hard to find in the US and since it is possible your machine is "Grey Market" (built for other regions, not the US) parts can be even more difficult to locate.

ok thanks so much for your help

If you need anything else, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to rate my answers.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH