Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

What would keep blowing external power supply fuse on 1225?

Customer Question
What would keep blowing...

What would keep blowing external power supply fuse on 1225? Has new battery, alternator, seat switch. The heater switch has power when heating before starting, but blows fuse when starting. Doesn’t even bump starter. Alternator light was on continually when running, now just blows fuse. Put new seat switch in and last and it ran, but alternator light stayed on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Gotta go look.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

MF 1225

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Okay, what do you suggest?

Have you checked each glow plug for being shorted? Glow plugs also have a timer /relay that should shut them off after about 15 seconds. Does this happen? And now engine will not crank over?

No, glow plug keeps sounding like it heating. Never has shut off in 15 seconds.
Would that have kept alternator light on too when running?

The alternator light on should not be affected , it would mean the alternator is not charging the battery. But alternator has to have voltage to it, or it will not charge. If fuse that feeds the field on the alternator is blown, the light stays on!

Right now it just blows external power supply fuse when trying to start. Battery and alternator new.

It blows fuse because of short in the circuit. Look for bare wires or a shorted component.

What order, and what components should I check.

What is on the circuit? Glow plugs for a place to start, fuel solenoid, wire harness to them, is there a 12-volt outlet, a common place for a short.?

I will start at outlet. How do I know if a glow blue is bad without replacing?

Use volt/ohm meter to see if the termina ihas conrinuity to the engine block. It should be open, nit closed. Closed, is a shorted glow plug.

External power supply fuse keeps blowing. Has new alternator, battery, and seat switch.
Go to start it and blows fuse.

I’m back. I found 40 amp. Fuse by alternator blown, replaced it. Not sure what it protects. Disconnected alternator, blew 20 amp, glow plug wire (plugs connected with bar to each), blew 20 amp, disconnected small wire on bendix for starters, blew 20 amp, unplugged wiring connected plugs one at a time wherever I found one, blew 20 amp.
Only thing left I believe is key switch, battery, or some coil relay I don’t know about. Anymore suggestions?????

Fuel solenoid?

They charge $26 a call, plus $56 for service.

Call is extra and usually not needed. Have you checked the fule solenoid?

Just ohm it? Where is it located.

How do you kill the engine?with the throttle or by turning off the key? With the key, there is a solenoid at the injection pump, that opens when the key is turned on. If it is shorted, the fuse blows and tractor doe not start. I can't find it on the Agco parts list.

Turns off with key.

Then it has the fuel shutoff solenoid, look just to the left of the injection pump mounting, where the solenoid would go toward the injection pump.

Okay, going to try and find now.

OK>

Should be similar to this,

With that unplugged, it still blows fuse.

OK< it was worth a check, Looks like there is something in the harness shorting out. May have to open the harness and check each wire.

I did find the 40 amp fuse blown earlier. Don’t know whatblew it.

Locate the harness plugs and unplug one, then test, find the section that blows the fuse, and then follow each wire. Keep unplugging until you find where it does not blow. It takes a pretty good short to blow a 40 amp fuse.

40 amp not blowing now, but 20 amp still. I ohmd guild celinoid unplugged, had continuity. Unhooked twelve point harness from under dash, and had nothing when turning key, what I expected

Does the harness break down further down?

but I’ve unplugged every connection one at a time, put in new fuse and blew one. Plugged in and tried another.

But you haven't checked each wire, for bare spots, and usually, it will be at clamp location, where the harness is clamped to metal.

I will start that tomorrow Curtis. I’m burned out on it now for the night. Thank you. I’ll be in touch.

I had a tech that ran what he called smoke tests, he would take the fuse out and wire it directly, where the smoke came out was the short! I do NOT recommend it!

Thank you, I’ve done that before when younger (60 & 70’s) working on cars, and bikes. Quit working on them when they put computers in them, and couldn’t sit on fenders with legs inside. Now you drop a tool and it doesn’t hit the ground.
Good night, and thank you.

OK>