Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a deere 330c lc serial 330cxo82815 while walking it…

Customer Question
i have a john deere...
i have a john deere 330c lc serial 330cxo82815 while walking it to the jobsite the engine stopped as if the key was turned off
there are two red lights blinking inside the two computers behind the operators seat. everything works fine electrically but the engine is not getting fuel. any ideas
bob
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/29/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 23 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Hi Bob. At the site of the injection pump you will see an electrical fuel shut off solenoid attached to a lever on the injection pump. With the key on you should see that moving to the fuel on position to open up the injection pump for injection. That should be powered with the key switch on. If it is not then you will want to check all your fuses for power on both sides using a test light or voltmeter with the key on and replace any fuses with power only on one side. If there is power to the fuel shut off solenoid but it is not functioning then you could have a faulty fuel shut off solenoid. In that case what you will want to do is mechanically move the lever into the fuel on position and then see if the engine will start
If so for temporary purposes you could zip tie or used mechanics wire Etc to hold the lever into the fuel on position to use the machine.. you will then have to get out of the machine and manually shut down the fuel shut off each and every time until the solenoid replaced. If the solenoid is functioning and you have good fuel supply to the injection pump then you will want to crack open the injection lines slightly to be sure that the fuel is spraying instead of barely trickling out which would point to a fuel delivery problem from a failed injection pump. Check for those things and respond back with the results if you need further help.. please remember to take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
there is no mechanical shut off its all electric all the fuses are good wiring is good can you get a wiring diagram for that system it would help
Thanks for the update Bob. Sorry for the confusion. I was looking at the older 3:30 with the Robert Bosch inline fuel injection pump. Your CLC has the common rail fuel system for your 6081 engine. This model has a suction control valve on the pump which is controlled by the engine ECM. Can you get the fault codes that are logged in the ECM memory? This system is a little more complex as you will need John Deere service advisor software on a laptop to plug in and communicate with the ECM to be able to monitor parameters and live data as well as fault codes. The suction control valve controlled by the ECM is what controls your fuel system. What you can do is check for restrictions and leaks between the tank and the pump to be sure that you have no restrictions or leaks going to the pump and also check for excessive return fuel that would indicate a regulator problem or a possible injector that's allowing too much return fuel.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the two computers behind the operators seat have led lights on the circuit board and both are flashing red should they not be solid green. i dont have the software and i am in a remote fly in only job so logistics is a bit of a problem for a tech to come to the site
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 22 days ago
Thanks for the update. Yes that is concerning as they should not be flashing red. You will want to confirm that you have full battery voltage to the controllers and good ground. You can also do all your wiring harness inspections and look at the connector pins for any corroded or damaged pins. If the wiring harness and voltage all check out good. And you also have all good fuses and relays I recommend finding a Deere dealer that you can ship the modules to to have them reprogrammed and bench tested. It is possible that reprogramming will not help them but a dealer may be able to plug into your modules to retrieve any fault codes etc. You should be able to access some of that information right through the monitor panel.
If pressure is low in the common rail then you will have a fault code for low fuel pressure. When you scroll through the monitor panel check if there are any error or fault codes. A failed pressure relief as I said along with an injector or a failed pump can cause low fuel pressure or if there is a leak you can get excessive return fuel because it is bypassing either an injector or the pressure regulator/ relief... Checking with a clear hose on the supply and return of the fuel system will show you if there are any air bubbles in the supply or return and if the return fuel is high. If there are no problems with the injectors or relief and there is no air found in the supply or the return it is the ECM that controls the SCV on the pump to meter the fuel. John Deere service advisor is needed to monitor the ECM parameters and is the only way to communicate with the ECM and view live data.
Dan, Technician