Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a 65wx-16 Dozer that has a chirping sound at first…

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a 65wx-16 Dozer that has a chirping sound at first start up, especially in below freezing conditions. It first only lasted about 10-15 secs when it was cold, but now it seems to be lasting until you start moving the Dozer, All through the engine warm up. If you put your hand on the hose going to the transmission filter you can feel a pulse the coincides with the noise. The tractor has around 5,000 hours on it. It has been 750 since we changed the transmission oil. We changed the transmission filter, and that didn’t seem to help. We also cut the filter open to look for contaminates and everything looked really clean. We are going to go ahead and change oil in the transmission and see if that helps. I’m also wondering about the suction line. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions while we’ve got it in the shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

65wx16 80280

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/26/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. I see you've already inspected inside the filter which is great but I would also continue what you were doing and drain the transmission and give it a service so you can check the section screen as well to see if there is anything in the screen that would indicate a problem or cause a restriction starving the pump for oil. If that checks out okay I would also double check in your maintenance manual for the best viscosity oil for the temperatures you are running in. What are the outside temperatures you are running in? At below freezing your oil is pretty much like molasses and at cold start up it is actually pretty damaging like metal on metal because the oil is so thick it has little lubrication properties. But yes there is a chart for your ambient temperatures of what the best recommended viscosity oil would be. If you are running an oil that is good for above freezing temperatures and spring summer temperatures then I recommend that you put a lower viscosity oil in for the winter time. Sometimes once this noise happens in begins to progress it can be too late as once you are hearing a noise it is an indication of cavitation and damage already occurring. Because it's progressively getting worse it leans towards exactly what I was mentioning that over a period of time the oil being so thick it is almost like having a dry start before lubrication begins to happen once the oil starts to thin out a little bit. I would pull that chart and go with a lower viscosity oil for your climate. Let me know if you need more help and we can follow up as needed on here. If this does not correct your issue and the noise progresses it means that the damage from the cavitation already exists and this will either remain for quite some time or it will progressively get worse into a possible failure which you will want to monitor either oil samples or continuously service your filter for a while to see if it's starting to produce metal and then monitor your transmission temperatures as well. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.