Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Removing left stabilizer from 916b cat back. Beside

Customer Question
Removing left stabilizer from...

Removing left stabilizer from 916b cat back hoe. Beside disconnecting hydraulic lines and removing pins is there anything else I should do? Taking cylinder to cat for seal rebuild.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

416 B 8ZK03911 SN

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing yet. I will be removing the cylinder personally.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The stabilizer is in the down position. Also I have not started the back hoe yet this spring.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/26/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
If the cylinder drifted down on is own, you should not have pressure in the lines. Just be careful as you could still have some pressure in the lines. Open the tank cap to release pressure in the tank. Remove the lines and plug the hoses and cap the fittings to prevent dirt entry into the hydraulic system. The pins will likely be seized and you may need to heat or cut the pins out. Expect to replace both pins and bearings in the cylinder and rod.