Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D37e-2 1990 steering/brake problem. Right side operates

Customer Question
D37e-2 1990 steering/brake...

D37e-2 1990 steering/brake problem. Right side operates normally. Left side powers the track properly but requires pulling the steering lever all the way to its travel limit to release the track. Left brake pedal doesn't apply any braking force. If going straight and not attempting to turn, if left brake pedal is pushed down, all power is disconnected from both tracks and the engine has no load on it. All fluids and filters are new. Dozer has been operating this way for 200 hours now.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D37e-2 sn/ 1732

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Total hours unknown, clean unmolested machine that runs great and transmission works well

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/26/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the linkage on the left side that is not working properly and compare it to the right side to see if there are any worn or damaged linkage components. If so you will want to repair the linkage and adjust it accordingly into specs. If the linkage is good and tight as well as adjusted evenly to the other side but needs extra travel before disconnecting the clutch and applying the brake then that is an indication of worn clutch and brakes.... Also a potential problem with the steering valve /piston.
Check these items first and then check to see if there is sign of metal or friction material as well as any Trash in the oil that would indicate a breaker clutch failure occurring. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. We can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment and write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
The machine is being brought back to the shop from a jobsite. Might be a few days until I can look at it. My biggest question is " what could cause the left brake pedal to disconnect power from both tracks? Not just the left track but both. Is there any way that the brake pedal or the brake itself could dump fluid pressure and cause the transmission to drop out of gear.
1
I would double check this as there seems to be some confusion. Both clutches are spring engaged and should be driving at all times until you push the pedal to steer. Then that clutch disconnects at the same time the brake holds it still. So therefore the opposite track is still moving forward. If you have the right track not continuing to power on then it is an indication that your clutches are slipping on that side and not enough to push the weight of the machine. Try pushing in soft soil in both a low gear and a high gear and either Barry the blade deep or go against a heavy tree or loading dock as in soft soil you will see if the clutches are slipping a lot easier if you were trying to drive into something secure in soft soil. You will want to check the steering valve or metering valve sticking or any problems there.... It is a good idea to reseal and clean the valve upon inspection however unless there is pressure to release either right or left clutch then those clutches will be engaged. So confirm if there is no release pressure to push in release either of those clutch they should be driving and if they are not then they are slipping.
The test you suggested has been done. Blade against solid tree, both tracks on solid packed dirt. Forward gear. Both tracks spin/dig into the ground as long as you want. Pull either hand leaver and that track stops. Release the hand leaver and that track digs again within 1 second. Press right brake pedal and engine lugs down. Press left brake pedal and both tracks stop and engine runs free with no lugging. Release left brake pedal and both tracks dig again but takes about 3 seconds to do so. Test at 1600 rpm.
Thanks for the update. For some reason the dash to because of its age is not supported on the online system as far as Parts breakdowns. They have - 5 listed but not - 2 so I can pull up breakdowns of valves Etc. I can say that you were going to want to check the control valves and I know on the dash 5 there is inching in metering valves but the dealer that I worked at was so long ago I would have to reference the manual for the dash 2 to be able to give specifics for your test specs. I know there's some PDF manuals available and some paper ones however I do not have a copy here at my shop as none of my customers own this model and it was 1996 when I left the Komatsu dealer. I am going to opt out to allow other professionals to jump in on this one in case they might have a Shop manual And to be able to give you what you should expect to see for pressures at the valves etc. Don't respond back or it will lock the question back to me and pull it back off of the board.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?