Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D5c cat dozer won't do any more than a little click, is

Customer Question
D5c cat dozer won't...

D5c cat dozer won't do any more than a little click, is there a sensor that can stop the relay from receiving power or is it just a bad battery and jump starting didn't help?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar d5c serial 9dl00791

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have been charging the battery all day and I jumped it with my tractor and it wouldn't do more than click the relay right next to the blade hydraulic control joystick.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
I have never parked it on both an incline and the side of a small hill and I've never had any battery issue or starter issue and I've had it on a charge battery tender so I'm thinking a sensor may be causing the problem or there are two relays in the box, they seem to function but again no loud click and no starter turn over....could it be day an oil sensor that is shutting down the starter? Or something I haven't thought about. I can just pull the battery and go test it but it's warm now and this thing starts perfect at say 20 degrees outside. This winter.
Again I normally park it only on a flat buy this time I parked it on a hill on my ranch.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be helpful.

Your machine does not have any sensors or switches to control starting.

The key switch has a green wire marked 306 that connects to that start relay you hear clicking and that closes the contact of the relay to send voltage from the red or the start relay through the white wire and down to the starter solenoid start terminal.

To test this system, check the green wire on the start relay for battery voltage when the key is in cranking position.

The check for power on the red wire and the white wire when in cranking position.

You should have within 2 volts of the battery voltage for a good circuit.

If this passes, the go to the starter solenoid and check voltage on the white wire while in cranking position.

Also, check battery voltage on the battery cable on the starter solenoid battery post.

If all of this checks good, the starter has failed.

If you need further help, please let me know. I will be glad to help.

Good advice started with one end and worked through to the other end. That's what I needed.

How did the repairs go?

Do you need anything else?

If so, please let me know how I can help you.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to rate my answers.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH