Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

On Volvo mct110c I have a round- squeeze. Problem: over a…

Customer Question
On Volvo mct110c I...

On Volvo mct110c I have a round-bale squeeze. Problem: over a couple months time, the squeeze grew progressively weaker and finally unable to grip a bale tight enough to hold it in the air. Cannot find a hydraulic leak which might explain it. All other functions work well. Tried my other bale-squeeze from other machine (which works well), same result on the Volvo with the other squeeze.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Its a 2014 model, I don't have the S.N. right here with me at the moment.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Machine has under 1000 hrs on it.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/26/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 24 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Dan. Thanks for responding. I'm 65, been around construction and farm equipment all my life. I know enough about this stuff to know that these symptoms could have more than one source, so I'll be glad to chase down suggested leads, so as to narrow the choices.
Thanks for the update. So I see that 2 different attachments of the same model have the same symptoms on this machine but not on another machine so as we both know that points to more of a problem in the machine itself. Now this would likely be a relief valve problem sticking open and not allowing this circuit to build pressure or a problem with the control valve in that circuit. Now the other thing to check is on a lot of these newer skid steers where you have electric over hydraulic functions you need to be sure that you have your Aux circuit set on the right position to run the proper tool whether it be a continuous flow hydraulic attachment or a two-way hydraulic attachment etc. If it is set up and hooked up the correct way without a doubt then you will want to look at the control valves and the relief valves in that circuit to see if there any trash or other damage in the valve that would cause a bypass of pressure. Let's start there and follow up with me on the results and we can follow up as needed. Please remember to take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Dan, I have to be candid; so far, let's just say I could have written your response, as all those things you said have already gone thru my mind. Please tell me something technical and specific to a Volvo, or else I'm going to grow bored and move on

If you want detail lets start with your serial number and whether you have high flow or standard flow hydraulics on your machine? Also what are the pressures in that circuit when you tested with your test gauges?

Ive worked for Volvo, Cat, Deere, Komatsu, JCB, and many other brands over the years. So I have to be candid, High flow and standard flow hydraulics are different as there are also differences between serial numbers. In order to get the most detail it is best to post your serial number or at the very least high flow or standard hydraulics, etc. surely one could pick one of the two and post an answer.... Id rather have all the information up front as it doesnt sound like you want someone to toss a coin an pick one of the options then having to go back and look it up again when it doesnt match exactly to your machine. So have you gotten that serial number?

There is at least one other Volvo Dealer experienced tech on here named Dan also. Im going to opt out and pass this along. Dont respond back or it will lock back to me.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks. I wasn't trying to be snippy, I just didn't want either of us wasting time. I have high flow/ standard flow selectable. The key, to me, and in my original definition, is that without doing anything different in settings, the problem showed up within a month or so of installation of the bale squeeze. At first just a minor irritation, but over the summer, and with the handling of 800 or so 1,000lb bales, it grew worse. My thinking; an external hydraulic leak would show that progression. I'm thinking relief valve, so I want to start there. I had hoped you might be able to advise me specifically, i.e. what port to plumb the guage into, what my results should be. I have a repair shop where I do my own repairs to my road construction equipment and my 11 farm tractors, so I have a collection of gauges and fittings accumulated over the years. What I don't have is specific info on the Volvo MCT110-C. I recently bought (online) a Tech Manual for my machine- 4,497 pages and NO TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION! I was disgusted, because even though it only cost $40, it took three weeks to get! My dealership wanted $500 for the same manual. They aren't helpful, they want me to pay them to drive a 1.5T service truck from 150miles away, then I pay room and board until it's fixed. I have to go check on my calving heifers, but when I return to the computer, I will have the S.N. Thanks
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK. I'm back temporarily from chores. My machine S.N. (or P.I.N.) is: GEO110TRTD2206441 When I called the dealership in Anchorage, Alaska a couple months back (where I purchased the machine, used, from their rental fleet in Dec. 2016), I talked about the problem with their Service Manager. He sounded helpful, took down my email address, said he would email info of a technical nature. I never got it, so I called again, this time I was told my option was to bring my machine to their shop in Anchorage or fly their mechanic, with tool boxes, to my location, or the Service Truck (as I stated earlier). None of those are attractive. I have previously found answers online, even free Youtube video's depicting exactly what I needed to see. So I'm hopeful that you can help me.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician