Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an e model cat wouldn't start without either only…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have an...
Second opinion] I have an e model cat wouldn't start without either only 200000 on overhaul put new injectors in started had full power lasted about 6 months doing same thing changed crank sensor injectors getting powerJA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?Customer: don't have it handy but is a 1ws e modelJA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/25/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am not a truck expert but, I would add you should monitor the fuel pressure over time to see if a low-pressure period could exist.

Normally, the driver would see a loss of power but, if the conditions do not require a high power output of the engine, he might not be aware of the loss of pressure.

I would also suggest you monitor fuel temperatures. You could have a flow return problem that might give you good pressure but, not good return flow causing high fuel temperatures.

This is an issue we have seen in some equipment. Just as low fuel flow (not pressure) will result in very high fuel temperatures in the return fuel flow from the head. I am not sure the E series had this sensor but, the later C18s I work on do have this sensor.

I have seen injectors destroyed in 8 hours because the fuel tank had leaves in it and they would restrict flow to the pump. Only when the engine needed high power did the operator notice the fuel pressure was low and by the end of the day, the injectors had been scorched by the high heat of the fuel from the low flow.

This is not my discovery, it is from the inspection of the failed injectors from CAT warranty claims. It was the driving factor in CAT's decision to require 2 micro filters be used on all new engines and that warranties will not cover injectors when the customer does not use CAT filters and uses "pre-filling" when replacing filters.

A pre-filled filter can be easily contaminated and lead to very short injector service life. The shop I work at has spent considerable money to filter everything going into equipment and passed on this recommendation to all our customers. Most not run high-efficiency filters on all their portable tanks and force their suppliers to provide the same on their end as well.

Whatever your engine is installed in, something must be wrong with the supply side OR the return side.

Did you use factory lines?

Did you replace any fittings?

Are any of these fittings possibly restricted by having the wrong sized orifice inside? (Some off brands are reduced for strength and are not suitable for fuel lines.)

Are you prefilling filters?

Has the fuel quality been checked?

Does your water separator collect a lot of water?

Since I am not a truck expert, I will OPT-OUT of this question. I just wanted to post this to help you and maybe someone who has seen this exact issue can help.

If you are not satisfied with this service, please contact customer service and they can help you close your account and refund your money.

Regards, CATMASTERTECH.

Once engine is running it’s fine will not start without a shot of either then it has started losing manifold pressure and power as time goes on