Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a problem with an old TCM forklift FD20Z5T, year

Hi, I have a problem...
Hi, I have a problem with an old TCM forklift FD20Z5T, year 1996. It will not go forward or backwards.
Oil level is fine, but I have not messured the pressure yet, don’t know which testport or what pressure.
Also, if I try to tow it with an excavator, one wheel turns forward and the other turns backwards. So I would believe the gearbox is jammen/locked somehow?
Do you have any data for this forklift?
Do you know if there is any lock device on the gearbox?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Do you have the electric over hydraulic shifter or is yours the full mechanical shift? My first recommendation is to check in the oil and filters if there is any sign of metal or debris that would confirm an internal mechanical problem occurringLet me know the results and we can follow up as needed on here.
On the mechanical shift you want to be sure that the linkage is fully engaging and all positions and if so the next step would be to look internally 4 signs of problems or debris that would confirm a problem. On the electrical over hydraulic shift you want to test power in and out of the shift controls and confirm that the parking brake switch is functioning as well or it will not allow you to shift. Also check for a seat switch and seat belt switch Etc that most of these lifts have is a safety. A problem with the inching circuit sometimes can cause an issue with travel as well so check out the operation of the inching pedal. I'm mobile now and not back at my office and so check on those things first and let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this and I could check through my archives if needed for any service information I might have. As I said we can follow up as needed on here. Once you were satisfied with all the information you have then please take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. 5 * readings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you for many things to check, I will check and report back.
It is fully mechanical.
Have checked, and it engage fully.
There is also 2 switches, one for forward and one backward. I believe this is only safety for not beeing able to start, when engaged in forward or backward?

Thanks for the update. Yes the neutral safety. Some have a park brake switch and seat or seat belt switch but not all.

Hi,there has been a seat switch, but that is removed probarbly many years ago.
I can't see any electronics connected to the gearbox, except on the lower left side, looks like a temp probe.
Have not had the opportunity to get underneath it yet, so maybe there is something there, which I can't see from top.
Took off the valvebody, and let a magnet inside the sump, but no signs of debrees, need to drain it to be sure.
So if I can't find any kind of lock on the gearbox itselfe, it must be jammed somehow?
You don't have any papers og manual for this forklift?
Would be good to see some drawings on the gearbox, to see what could be trouble.Tilted it up on the forks, and the wheels are loose, but still one turns opposite of the other, so it the shaft going to gearbox, must stand still.

Let me opt out on this one in case there is another professional that has the diagrams for this model as I looked through my files and I have no diagrams that will be helpful on this model that I have found unfortunately. I tried.

Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I don't have a diagram, but this is a forklift, so it has an inching valve that lets you kick transmission into neutral while you lift the forks. This inching valve may be stuck in the open position, Usually activated by the left brake pedal. It may be a brake line going to the transmission, or a switch working a solenoid valve on the transmission cover.

Ok, thanks for input, I will check.
But as you say, this should free up, and put it in neutral.
But it's impossible to tow the forklift, if one wheel turns forward, the other turns backwards. So if the inching valve only put it in neutral, it should be possible to tow in neutral?
Or is there also some kind of lock on this inching valve?
I will for sure check as soon as I get to it, thanks for your input, and I will get back to you.

The differential is ok, that is what lets wheels turn in opposite direction when the axle is in the air and you turn wheels manually. So the unit will not tow? Do both wheels slide or? It should roll in neutral.

that was my point, diff is good. But if I try to tow it, even with a excavator for more force. One wheel turns forward and the other backwards. So in my opinion, something must be either locking in the gearbox, or something is jammed.
But I am not to familiar with a forklift gearbox, I was hoping for something could lock it up. But fear the gearbox has jammed up somehow.
It would be a bit clarifying with a drawing/schematics of the gearbox.
I have not been able to get hold of any info from suppliers, forklift probarbly a bit too old?

What do you have for a gearbox? A gearbox with high/load or multiple speeds? What I envision is the manual gearbox is jammed into two gears at once. On a tractor, this is common, and you have to remove the transmission shift cover, move the shift rods back into neutral, and re-install the shifter.

I've seen what you say on old tractors, but that's only on manual gearboxes?
This gearbox is as far as I can see more like a normal automatic gearbox, with converter. Converter is giving oil pressure, but have not tested how high the pressure is.
It looks more or less identical to the YC gearbox, on the picture on this link.
http://www.china-reducers.com/forklift-gears-2.htm

How did problem develope? Did it quit under use? For it to be doing what it is doing, the forward/reverse clutches would have to be stuck.

You had valve body off, and you didn't see any gears that shift, just clutch packs?

Correct ��Think I will have to drink it for oil, and inspect it with an endoscope tomorrow.
Maybe I can find something then ��Drain it for oil.. Auto dictionary..

OK> Did it quit under use?

I don't know, bought it in unknown state.

!! So it was like this when you bought it! Nothing that looks like a parking brake, that would lock in, like an automobile in park?

Could be, but the wires from parking brake looks like they are going to the front hubs.
But that is also worth checking for sure, thanks.

Let me know.

Attached photo inside gearbox, and of a similar type of inching valve.Movie clip, one wheel in ground, and one lifted above ground, and I try to turn the wheel backwards and forwards. As you can see, there is movement, but seems like it is locked in the gearbox.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h7AZPraqhdFJimJs91yMiZys0lkEfzMYInching valve returns fine, and feels good, but I will try to dismount it as well, but don't have time for it today.
Wire for parking brake, goes directly to the brake shoes, so they don't lock up anything.

You still have transmission open? Se eif the clutch housing with gears will spin freely. The clutch plates should be relaxed and not engaged. the gears would be directly connected to the output shaft going to the differential side. Clutch plates should have clearance and would move back and forth, only close when pressure is applied to engage the clutch pack.

Can't move them appart from the very small movement you can see in the end of the movie.

Do the clutch plates have clearance? Has transmission been apart that you can tell?

Hard to see, but can't be much clearance if they have, but of course they don't need much to free neither..
Doesn't look like the transmission have been apart either, but I don't know for how long it has been sitting still like this.
If I turn the engine when the gearbox is open, nothing turns inside here as far as I can see, but the torque converter sure gives oil pressure if I start up.

Something is locked up, and it appears to be forward and reverse. I don't see a solution, other than removing the transaxle from the machine!

Shouldn't one of theese sprocket have the opportunity to slide?
Could it be that both gears are engaged, and jammed in this position?
But can't see how, or which sprocket, do you have any drawings on a similar gearbox, so I could see how it's ment to work? :)

The gears are always engaged, they do not slide. To drive one of the clutch packs would apply and it would turn the gears, the opposite clutch pack would spin but would not be engaged.

Ok, thanks for clarifying for me.
On the picture I sendt, there is only one double clutch pack?
One half for forward and the other for reverse?
Then the clutch pack must have jammed/burned/seized somehow and it needs to be taken apparat?

Yes, the pack is double pack, one end for forward, the other for reverse.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thanks for good guidance, I will contact you later if I need more info.

Thank you!