Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We rebuilt the hydrulic pump in our JD 80b but now it won't…

Customer Question
We rebuilt the hydrulic...

We rebuilt the hydrulic pump in our JD 80b but now it won't move. It does start. Any ideas why?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don't know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are trying to. it started out trying to fix an hydraulic leak. We replaced 2 pumps then put it back together. But now it won't run

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/25/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Was this your first pump teardown and overhaul or is this something you have experience with on what to look for as far as failure analysis and what where to look for on the machine surfaces etc? There are a couple of scenarios that could be the case here. The best case scenario is that the pump is assembled correctly and all parts worn out of serviceable specs were replaced because usually when pumps leak out of the seals it is more than just seals. But if that's guaranteed to be in specs with nothing missed on disassembly and assembly then check your suction screen to see if it is plugged in possibly you might be sucking some air. If this is not the case and there are no restrictions for the pump suction line but the pump will not pick up oil then it points to a problem with the pump itself. Check for either of these scenarios and let me know the results. We can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment to read my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
I think I didn't give enough information. This is our first time doing this. The problem we are having appears to be with the hydraulics that make the crawler actually crawl. Machine starts, blade will lift but it won't crawl.
Thanks for the update. I'm mobile out on the road right now so I don't have access to my manual until I get back to my office so if this can wait until tomorrow or later tonight if if I'm up late when I get back to home to my office let me know.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?