Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D6M dozer that will fire on ether but will not stay…

I have a D6M...

I have a D6M dozer that will fire on ether but will not stay running. All I did was replace starter and the wires are back the same way

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had the starter rebuilt put it back on the machine it cranks just fine won’t start. I tried some starting fluid and it will run on that. I double checked my wiring and made sure park was engaged and shifter was in neutral all good. I hand primed the fuel good pressure and checked the shut off to tank all good

3/24/2018
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Odds are you did not connect the wires at the starter properly. I find this often when this issue happens after a starter replacement.

The starter solenoid has two posts. One is for the battery cable and the other is for the motor connection

The wires connected to the starter includes a BLUE wire with a large (1/2") ring terminal.

This BLUE wire MUST be installed on the motor terminal. This is the wire that connects to the START terminal of the shutdown solenoid.

Also, check the STOP terminal for power when the key switch is OFF. This fuse is separate on some machines and you may have blown a fuse, this would prevent the engine shutting off.

If you still have the issue, verify the ground wire (BLACK) has continuity to ground.

You can also remove the solenoid for testing and the engine will start with the solenoid removed.

NOTE: Oil will pour from the solenoid hole if you do start it. Be prepared to screw the solenoid back in place.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
With the key off I have 16 volts to shut off selenoid I still don’t understand where the blue wire goes I had it on the small terminal on the starter selenoid with a white wire

No, the white wire is the only wire on the solenoid terminal.

The BLUE wire is to the other large post on the solenoid. The one right below the battery cable post.

Check your shutoff fuse and battery voltage.

The battery might be weak or the fuse is about to fail.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The selenoid they put on at the starter shop does not have the other small terminal for the ground could that be the issue it would be number 4 in that diagram

Yes and no. If the solenoid has an internal ground, then the solenoid will work. I assume you are cranking?

This will not affect the not running issue.

CAT just prefers the external ground wire as it is a better ground.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yeah it’s cranking like hell plenty of power

Have you moved the blue wire to the other lug?

Have you checked the start terminal of the shutoff solenoid for voltage while cranking?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
moved wire no difference attempting to check voltage don’t have any help leads are long enough! Are there in line fuses up on the engine compartment right in front of the cab?

No, all fuses are in the left fender. Those are connectors for the larger wires of the engine harness.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok fuses are good then

The Blue wire is a direct connection from the motor lug to the START terminal of the shutoff solenoid.

If you remove the shutoff solenoid START wire and leave the key in the run position, you can jump battery voltage to the START terminal and feel the solenoid "latch" to the run position.

When you turn the key off, the solenoid should trip the "unlatch" coil to release the solenoid plunger.

This is called a "Latching" type solenoid for that reason.

NOTE: the terminals have the names on each post. START, STOP, and GRD for ground.

Also, you must always use the CAT key switch as it has the power feed to the STOP circuit when the key is off.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Took blue wire off jumped it from red wire to post where blue wire was with the key on and no clicking

Need to verify you are getting 24 volts to the solenoid and the ground is good.

If you have a full 24 volts and the ground is good, then the solenoid has failed.

You can remove the solenoid and press the plunger in to "latch" it in the run. and then start the engine.

To stop the engine, press the button on the back in to release the "latch" mechanism. You may need to tap it with a small hammer if it is tight.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thank you I have 25 volts from the red wire to the black wire on the back of the selenoid so I am thinking the selenoid is bad

Yes, it does appear the solenoid has failed. You can get the CAT tool to remove it or a very small pin type spanner wrench. OR, you can do like most people and use a punch in the holes to start it moving and finish with pliers.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok sounds good

The CAT tool number is ***** Spanner Wrench

Glad I could help.

If you need anything else, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment and provide a rating.

It is very helpful to know how we are doing.

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you
catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician