Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I'll ask...I have a old Gehl 2500...yes it is old but in…

I'll ask...I have a...

I'll ask...I have a old Gehl 2500...yes it is old but in very good condition..while using it this morning and it was running good...all of a sudden..I lost the forward an I ended up in reverse doin circle which kinda scared me..IAM thinking maybe linkages or possibly the chain might of broke or something..any thoughts...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I Kno it's a 2500..as for the serial number..it probably faded about 20 yes ago..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like some one familiar with Gehl..if possible....

3/22/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Hello

On the side that is not driving, does the driver lever have the same feel as before? Most likely cause of complete failure all at once, is the drive chain in the gearbox, Remove one of the covers and see if the drive chain is tight, or has it broken or came off sprocket?

Hhhmmm..that's what I was thinking or maybe a linkage...I was wondering if there's a relief valve or check valve that may be stuck open..it happen suddenly

No, if the feel is the same on the operating lever, I doubt that the linkage or relief valve has anything to do with it.

Are you familiar with the gehl 2500..it's old but very well maintain..
IAM a very mechanical hands on person an just want a good direction..if chain an sprocket check good...wat can u suggest after words

Yes, Gehl uses the same setup as the older Melrose Bobcats. I can find a parts link for it if you need parts book.

I have the parts book an manual...thank you

If the chain is in place, and working the lever does not turn the chain, then it goes back to the drive motor, is it spinning the shaft? Sproket that drives chain can be stripped out on drive motor.

I live in New York an I plowed allot of snow an I am thinking the wheels spinning on ice might of caused the chain to come loose

Could be. Or just normal wear.

When I go to start it will start but only when the machine is moving in reverse...like I lost the happy medium of neutral..but no forward
An when it does starts..it's in reverse sn forward doesn't activate..weird I never encountered this problem..but was scary at the same time

Check the linkage at the drive pump, maybe the lever is not moving at the pump.?

I will check it..do u recommend all 4 tires of the ground
There's is a pin or something that I can diactive for the machine to free roll

No freeroll on this one!

Ok but all four tires of the ground shouldn't hurt anything

you want to drag it?

Not really I think it will hurt the drive motors...I guess to better diagnosed the forward an reverse would it be better on jack stands..being that when it starts it goes inti reverse

Yes, better on stands.

Ok thank you...for your response I am grateful..just wanted to confirm my suspicion...have a good evening

Thank you!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician