Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

04 asv rc60 Lift arms will not go up all other functions…

Customer Question
04 asv rc60 Lift...

04 asv rc60 Lift arms will not go up all other functions work properly

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don't have that information currently

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, rebuilt the joystick thinking I had a stuck plunger

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/22/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 month ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good

The bucket works k, but the boom will not raise, and the valve spool is not locked? Have you tested the two lift cylinders for internal leakage? Either cylinder can have internal leakage and keep the unit from raising.

To do a quick test, remove one of the hoses, on the rod end of a cylinder, try to raise the boom, and if oil pours from the open hole, the cylinder is bad if oil pours from the hose that as removed, the opposite cylinder would be leaking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I check the valve spool?

You would have to physically see if it is moving when you operate the hand or foot control.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has a joystick

Cable operated, or hydraulic hoses to valve body?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hydraulic hoses

Pilot controls, so the spool ends are enclosed.I would do cylinder test, if oil is leaking, the joystick is working.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The motor labors when I push arms down but absolutely nothing up.

I'm going to step out on a limb, and say you have a piston loose on one of the cylinder rods. Down, the piston is tight and pressure builds, so engine labors, on raise, the piston moves, and oil bypass and no pressure is produced,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not with the machine for another hour I will remove a line on one cylinder and see what happens and get back to you

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok disconnected rod end hydraulic hose and as soon as I started it ,it shot fluid across the shop without touching the joystick.

From hose or cylinder?From hose, coming from the opposite cylinder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think the opposite cylinder has an issue?

Yes, Unless that was the pressure hose, and not the return in that position.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I know?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should there be pressure if the joystick hasn't been activated/ neutral?

No, should not be pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I have pressure�� what does that mean?

That the control valve is not in neutral. Joystick/pilot controls are energizing the valve. But seems like both open holes, the cylinder and the hose would have had pressure,??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing but a drip out of the cylinder. Joystick is in neutral, what Now?

If the hose was from the opposite cylinder, I would check the cylinder!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do that tomorrow and let you know what I find, thank you and have a good evening.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I got a chance to work on it and figured by disconnecting the other side I should get opposite results confirming your thoughts on it being the cylinder however I got the same results pressure from the hose, any thoughts?

The control valve or pilot valve is open, letting the hose get pressure from the valve, with pressure on the wrong side of the piston, the cylinder can not move.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I confirm which one

Take the pilot hose off the at the boom spool and see if it has pressure, if the pilot hose has pressure, it is the pilot valve problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where would I find the pilot valve? I can't find anything in my parts breakdown called a pilot valve, could it be called something else?

It is your joystick.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ha,ha , no pressure there .Now Where?

To the control valve, is the boom spool broken? Has to be a reason there is pressure on the wrong side of the cylinder when the engine is running.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forget my last comment I had the lines off but never started it but did have a steady flow of fluid not running coming from all the lines

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician