Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a problem with my Hitachi ex60. I changed the

hydraulic filters a week or...
I have a problem with my Hitachi ex60. I changed the hydraulic filters a week or so ago and it seems to be lacking in power and speed also the right track has lost drive although it does work if you lift machine off the ground. I'm thinking there's a valve stuck open somewhere but not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions would be most helpfull.
3/20/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is your serial number?

If you are having problems with all hydraulic functions it is an indication of a pump failure occurring. I see that you changed the filters. Changing the filter is never a cure for a problem and the purpose of removing the filter is to inspect inside the filter for fine metal or debris that would confirm a component or pump failure that is producing metal in the system. You would be looking for that metal inside the filter. It will look like fine glitter in the oil and filter. This is what you will want to look for so if you can access the old filter I recommend you opening it up and inspecting it inside for fine metal or debris. If a pump failure is occurring you will also likely find it in the new filter as well just not as much. If confirmed the entire system would need to be cleaned out meaning all cylinders valves and components need to be cleaned of that metal contamination before running a new pump or component or cross-contamination can happen and failure of the new components and other components can and will occur. It is a long and lengthy process however a necessary and important process. Most of the time if it would be a control valve or relief valve problem by passing pressure or sticking it would only affect independent functions that those valves control and not the full hydraulic system. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please remember to take a moment and write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried the machine again this afternoon and I noticed that when I raise the main boom, if done gently, it drops slightly before it goes up. Also the bucket function is slow but is faster when operating other functions at the same time.
That is to be expected during a pump failure as all the metal pieces and contamination get Forced through the control valves and the other components in your system while slowly destroying them. When a pump failure is occurring it continues to produce metal from its failure as you start to lose functions one at a time. Every time you pull a lever to operate a new function it sends that contamination in metal right to that function then creating further damage to the components in that function. Then when you pull a lever to try another function if then sends all that contamination to that function creating problems. And then when that function is not working and you try to operate another function you then send the same contamination to the other remaining functions that were working causing more damage to those functions and contamination. The end result is a hydraulic system that's heavily contaminated with metal from a pump failure because the machine was not shut down when the failure initially occurred and all the functions continue to be operated. I recommend not pulling any more levers until you have confirmed whether or not you have metal contamination in your system that would confirm that this is your problem and you have a failed hydraulic pump. Because if this is the case unfortunately it sounds like you have a can of worms on your hands because all these components now have to be cleaned out from that contamination which involves disassembly and cleaning while inspecting for scoring and damage from the metal becoming an embedded in the cylinder seals Etc acting like sandpaper to score all the internal machined surfaces. I surely hope that this isn't what is going on with your machine however from my experience at sounds like this is exactly what is happening to your machine. Before moving any further I recommend pulling the hydraulic filter in a clean container or bucket and look for shiny metal glitter in the oil and filter. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed. If clean the only other thing that can cause this would be a charge pump which is the small pump that produces your pilot pressure for the control pressure or a main relief valve that is stuck open or damaged which you could remove and inspect all the relief valve cartridges from the main control valve however the only one that would matter would be a main relief because the individual circuit reliefs would only affect a particular function. Please remember to take a moment and write my answers is that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks dan. I'll drop the filters off today and take a look

Pleasure to help.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took filters off and looks as though your correct about the pump being on it's last legs. Would I be as well to replace both pumps I was going to see if I could part exchange or get a reconditioned unit. This is an old machine so not sure about putting a new pump on it. Any ideas?

Thanks for the update

If the system is full of metal and you are seeing that fine glitter throughout the oil then it means that the hydraulic system is now contaminated. The damage can go farther than just the pumps at this point. Before investing money into pumps on this machine now you would start disconnecting some lines in a safe fashion making sure that all work tool equipment is safely on the ground with no residual pressure in the circuit. But disconnect some lines after the system's drained and start looking for signs of this metal in the valve ports and drive motor ports Etc to see the extent of the contamination. Because if this is into the valves it means that these components will have to be disassembled inspected and cleaned. Including the hydraulic cylinders. That fine metal will get embedded into the Piston seals on the hydraulic cylinders so even if you cleaned out all the oil that is going to continue to score the inside of your hydraulic cylinder barrels just like sandpaper would. So it is good practice to see how far and how bad the contamination is through the system and how much other damage it may have caused to determine whether or not it is worth repairing if you need several other hydraulic components as well. In cases where you've caught it early enough before the system was fully contaminated and it's not through all the components and valves you can usually clean most of it out and then run a higher micron filter after doing your clean out to catch the remaining small particles and then you would flush the system using that hire micron filter and continue running until that filter collects all those particles. You would then continue to inspect and change the filters to monitor the progress of the clean-out. This is obviously after manually cleaning out the whole system the best you can. And repairing any damaged valves are components you found during your inspection.
Check and see if it got into your hydraulic cylinders and check and see if it got into the final drive motor ports and settled down at your final drive Motors as that will cause problems with your final drive Motors as well.
Dan, Technician