Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an old cat vc60 forklift that will not go forward.

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old cat vc60 forklift that will not go forward. When the F/R lever is in forward there is no indication of the machine even trying to move. It does work in reverse and once or twice it seemed to go in reverse with the lever in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will get the serial number and model tomorrow. Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/20/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

This has the old electric shifter with solenoids for forward and reverse. Swap wires on the f.r solenoids and see if the forward will work when shifted to reverse. If it does, replace the shifter

Thanks for responding so quickly,
Are the solenoids located on top of the transmission? If switching the solenoids wires doesn't work what else could it be?
I can try this tomorrow afternoon. Does my question session have a time limit?

No time limit, just use the link in your email to get back here.

There are 3 wires going to what I assume are the solenoids (3 connectors on a plate on the upper back side of the transmission). This gives me 6 combinations, some combinations give me reverse motion when in all 3 shifter positions, some combinations give me reverse in 2 positions and neutral in 1 position (not necessarily the neutral position) but I don't get forward with any combinations. I took the shifter apart and cleaned the contacts then checked continuity for each contact-all good. In the forward and reverse shifter positions there is voltage coming down to one each of 2 of the solenoid wires. Do you have a suggestion as to what I can try next? The machine is a Cat model VC
60DSA Serial # 9SB59T6.Thank you,
Jim

Was forklift working and just quit under use? Or when did forward last work? Any sign d metal in the transmission fluid or a burned smell in the trans fluid? Can the solenoids be swapped from reverse to forward?