Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a CASE 85XT and the left joystick for direction stops…

Customer Question
Hello! I have...

Hello! I have a CASE 85XT and the left joystick for direction stops working after 10 minutes of use, I have to turn off the machine for 1 hour and then it will work for another 10 minutes and stop. It is the left joystick only for back and forth movement of the machine... Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

CASE 85XT where can I find the serial number?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is your machine serial number?

Is travel the only circuit that is having trouble? If so is is all directions? Any noises?

Hi Dan,Thanks for your response, yes the left joystick only has an issue after 10 minutes of use (or when it heats up), the arms do work great the entire time. It will stop working after ten minutes and if you play with the joystick it feels like it would "catch" and start working again, just the directional is the issue. After continuous use we would need to turn off the machine because the directional will stop working completely. Right joystick works fine. Serial number is ***** difficult to read, *JAF0370078 from what I can gather.
Thanks for the update. With those symptoms the first thing you were going to want to check for is the possibility of a hydrostatic drive failure and either the pump or drive motors possibly both as when one goes it contaminates the others. Remove the hydraulic filter and inspected internally for fine metal or debris that would confirm a component or pump failure occurring. This will look like glitter in the oil and filter. If found the system will need to be completely flushed out and cleaned out before running a new component and all failed components that have the potential of producing more metal need to be replaced or repaired. If no metal is found you will want to have the pressures tested and confirmed if they are in OEM specs. You will want to check both pilot/charge pressure and main pressure. If all checks out okay then you will want to check 4 problems in the controls itself for that side and wiring harness as well as problems in the control valve 4 that function. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed on here if we have to dig deeper. Please remember to take a moment to read my answers as that is how this site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Hi Dan,Is it possible for you to provide me step by step directions to do the aforementioned?Thanks,
Ata
What part of what I mentioned is unclear? I do not have the service book handy for your particular model but there are some available online in PDF in different places but I recommend having the service book for your machine if you don't already have one that will tell you your pressure specs and what they should be. I'm not sure if you have any test gauges to test hydraulic pressures or what your experience level is on Hydraulics and heavy equipment? I think before we get too far ahead of ourselves here would be to remove that hydraulic filter and in a clean drain container dump the filter out into it and see if the oil coming out has glitter and metal Shining in the oil as if this is found then there is no further diagnosis because you have a hydrostatic drive failure on your hands.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.