Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

78casew14loaderranfine,shut engine off,engine is locked

Customer Question
78casew14loaderranfine,shut engine off,engine is...

78casew14loaderranfine,shut engine off,engine is locked up,pulled injecters,still will not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Case w14(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled the injectors and tried to turn it over

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Volts dropped before shutting of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/18/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

How are you trying to turn the engine over? Manually with a wrench, or starter? What is battery voltage? Does voltage drop when start is selected?

tried with starter and manually

No movement in either direction with wench? Oil level ok? No unusual noises? I think I would pull starter and use a bar on the ring gear,

no movement either direction oil level is good tried pulling starter and still could not get it to move
have to go will check back friday afternoon on 3/23

Nothing in the drive train that would lock the engine? Drive shaft from engine to the transmission? The hydraulic pump driving off the engine?

how would you check them to see if that's the problem

You have to start removing the pumps and drive shafts!

it free wheels in neutral and moved it four feet by pushing it

OK, so from what I gather the engine has seized. And it is not external!

need to pull the engine and oil pan to check main bearings?

Is there hydraulic pump mounted on the engine? That would be about the only other thing that could lock up the engine. Then pull the oil pan and look for damage!

can an engine lock up just by turning it off after running fine? or what do you think would seize the engine

Engine seizes from lack of oil pressure or a physical break of something like a connecting rod. You have already removed the injectors and found nothing.