Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 2006 Deere 320 skid steer is giving me trouble. Problem…

My 2006 John Deere 320...
My 2006 John Deere 320 skid steer is giving me trouble. Problem started out as the parking brake / hydraulics release would not release. when I would release brake, the control panel would act like the seat belt wasn't clicked. I bypassed the seat, and seat belt safety switchs, no luck. The problem has gotten worse now, when I turn the key on, the glow plugs light comes on for few seconds, then all the kights on the control panel flash, a solenoid clicks in the engine area. If I let the key on, it will intermittently click the solenoid and flash the ctl pnl lights, but eventually the glow plugs are warm enough that it allows me to crank the engine, engine starts briefly, but then the lights flash, and solenoid clicks, and shuts the engine down. I have replaced the parking brake switch, and control panel, no luck.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Professionals aren't employees of the site but we can follow up as needed on here. What is your machine serial number and also what do you have for fault codes logged?
Looking for serial number, can't locate yet. Codes are F985 and F9D5

F9D5 = Coolant Temperature Sensor @ 5 volts or greater (Overheat condition)

F985 = Hydraulic Temperature Sensor 5 volts or greater (Overheat condition). Either an actual overheat condition or a sensor or wiring issue causing false codes.

Check for an actual overheat condition with a digital temperature reader and if none inspect the wiring harness and for possible faulty sensors. Using an ohmmeter test continuity of the safety interlock wiring harness and the sensors. Bypassing the sensors alone will not correct an open circuit or short in the wiring harness if there is one. If all that checks out good you could have a problem in the Machine controller or the controller software. If all components test out good the final step we be to have John Deere service advisor connected to the machine to check the ECM controller parameters and run any software updates Etc.
Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Hey Dan, I had googled those codes previously, I had run the machine less then a week ago, definitely was running cool. No issues. I have now bought an op and test manual, trying to figure out if the wiring for the hydraulic and water temp are connected. I did just read that when installing a new EMU, that it must have the loader model entered into the emu, didn't do that. Going to do that this afternoon.
Thanks for the update. Yes and the Machine controller if replaced needs to be programmed using the dealer version of John Deere service advisor. And depending there may be software updates involved but the dealer the dresses those at the same time. Keep me posted on the results and it's a pleasure to help with anything I can.
Dan, Technician
Hey Dan, I'm in the process of reinstalling my original controller to get back to the original problem. Since my new controller wasn't programed, I believe that it has created several new issues. I'll reinstall original controller, & recheck codes. I don't mean to keep dragging this question along, just trying to solve my problem. I will give you excellent rating once I've seen if the codes have changed after controller swap.
I'm getting a f9p8 code now after reinstalling original emu.
Thanks for the update. That fault means the park brake output is open. If this fault is active the park brake will not disengage. Inspect the wiring leading to the park brake solenoid and in the parking brake circuit for damaged wiring or connector pins causing an open circuit.