Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN GIVE ANY HELP.. WE ARE LOOKING AT A…

HI DAN.. DON'T KNOW...

HI DAN.. DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN GIVE ANY HELP.. WE ARE LOOKING AT A 2006 CASE 850K DOZER TO BUY.. SER= JJG0296704..3500 HOURS.. SPEED SENSOR SELECTOR IS STUCK AT 60%.. WE HAVE NOT STARTED OR RAN MACHINE AS OF YET..CASE DEALER TELLS US FIX COULD BE AS MUCH AS 15000 AND 1500 TO TROUBLE SHOOT.. I BROWSE THE INTERNET AT 850K'S FOR SALE AND SEE MANY 850K S THAT ARE FOR SALE WITH THIS SAME ISSUE OF SPEED SENSOR SELECTOR STUCK OR STUCK AT 60%.. ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS ON THE PROBLEM???

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

YES AND OUR FIRST IMPULSE/THOUGHT IS THAT PROBLEM IS SOMETHING MAJOR.WHEN IN FACT IT IS MINOR PROBLEM..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I WILL BE IN AND OUT ALL DAY AND WILL TRY TO LEAVE THIS POP UP CONVERSATION ON MY DESK TOP.. MY CELL IS(###) ###-####. I CAN BE TEXTED OR VOICE MAIL.. WON'T ANSWER. THANK YOU.. GARY IN MICHIGAN.

3/16/2018
Dan, Technician
Hi Gary it is Dan. I will be glad to try to help on this however I am out on the road at the moment and won't be back to the shop for a few hours but if that is okay with you that I review this information further when I get back to my computer I will be glad to help.
TAKE YOUR TIME DAN.. I AM ON THE ROAD ALL DAY ALSO.. WE ARE NOT READY TO JUMP AND BUY THIS MACHINE.. IT IS NOT ADVERTISED FOR SALE.. WE ARE CURRENTLY CHECKING LIENS AND ANY IF MONEY OWED ON MACHINE.. DEAL SEAMS TO BE TO GOOD BECAUSE GOING FOR LESS THAN AUCTION PRICE..LIKE SALVAGE PRICE??
Hey Gary sorry for the delay. This problem could be all electrical either in the speed selector or wiring harness in the connector pins or wires. Also there could be a calibration issue requiring recalibration are possible reprogramming of the controller software. If all the electrical test out good it is also possible they could be some mechanical things going on.
Check inside the filters and the oil condition for any dark discolored oil burnt smell or white sludge indicating moisture water in the system. A rushed oil samples may not be a bad idea either. If all of this is clean then there is a better that this may not be any major work.
Dan, Technician