Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Volvo ec 330 bloc s/n 80039 the swing motor stops the minute…

Customer Question
Volvo ec 330 bloc...

Volvo ec 330 bloc s/n 80039 the swing motor stops the minute u let the leve go it doesn’t gradually stop

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Volvo ec330blc serial no is 80039

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the relief valves no damage there took the vacation valve out replaced o rings still no good

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/14/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Ok
If the control valve spools for swing check good and you have good Maine pressure going to the swing motor then the only thing that stops or slows down your swing are the crossover relief valves on the top of the Swing motor itself. They are what creates a fluid lock to stop your swing. There is also a non-return valve in there as well on one of the plugs on the side I would check all that for any debris or trash as well as for damaged toe rings are backup rings. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Not any of that
Thanks for the update but I need a little bit more detail about the results of those checks or tests so I can dissect the information for further troubleshooting. So when you put your pressure test gauges on the swing circuit what did you get for pressure for swing right with that circuit deadheaded and what did you get for pressure on swing left with that circuit deadheaded? Then in either of these directions when you let go of the lever on your controls what did the pressures do? Then when you teed in between your control valve and swing motor which is leaving the swing motor into the circuit and when you did the same but putting the bucket up against something or into the ground to prevent swing allowing the circuit to deadhead with the same tests on both right and left what did you get for results? You also pulled the control valve swing spool and your swing control valve apart looking for damaged O-rings scored plungers or components and trash or debris in the valves but found nothing. Let me know.
Not any of that unfortunately doesn't give me enough information to help with a diagnosis further.

I will check in for this information as it is great you already performed all these tests. It means we are closer to a resolution and diagnosis. You should have this written down in your notebook when you tested pressures.

I understand how it's easy to be skeptical if this is your first time on the website however the professionals on the site are not employees of the site but users of the site like yourself who went through a verification process before they were allowed to answer on the site. Prior to going independent with a field service truck I've worked for Milton Cat, Nortrax (Deere/ Hitatchi), CN Wood (Komatsu/ VME/Dresser), Chadwick BaRoss (Volvo), Middlesex Materials Corporation( Quarry Equipment), Freightliner of NH and McDevitt Mack Peterbilt... I know this equipment and troubleshooting. I am a technician. You are connected with an experienced technician and I will gladly help you work through this but it is going to take testing and post in the results of that testing to come to a conclusion or diagnosis.

Hi, I am assuming since there was no response with the pressure test results that the pressures were never tested as I suggested.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?