Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

A I have a CAT excavator 320B that has hydraulic problems,

Customer Question
A Hi I have...

A Hi I have a CAT excavator 320B that has hydraulic problems, all system is slow and the pump pressure is at 1000 psi?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay I am eager to fix this problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The main pump swash plates had worn out and the barrels and springs broken so this was replaced on both pumps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

As I mentioned it is not working as it should at all, the equipment is very very slow no power in the hydraulics at all.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Anytime you have a hydraulic pump or component failure you have to flush the system from contamination as that metal gets into the control valve and other hydraulic components throughout the system causing further damage and other problems such as sticking valves at failed components etc. When pumps are rebuilt they should be calibrated on a calibration stand for hydraulic pumps. Is this something that you had a hydraulic shop do or is this something somebody tackled in their own backyard or Home garage? If the pumps were rebuilt to factory specs and calibrated accordingly on a hydraulic test bench then you will need to check the circuit relief valves for any trash or debris causing them to stick open as well as damaged O-rings causing a bypass of pressure or inability to reach system pressure or circuit pressure. Also on this machine you need to recalibrate the pumps to the engine and engine governor, ECM, and the prv.
This calibration can be done using caterpillar ET software and hydraulic test gauges. Some of the calibrations can be done through the monitor panel. Let me know if you need more help and please take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.