Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a terex loader 60c 1985 and the oil is leaking on the…

I have a terex...

I have a terex loader 60c 1985 and the oil is leaking on the right side over the disc brakes. I supose we need to change the final drive bearings and seals. Also looking for a service manual .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 60c serial#72955

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Professionals are not employees of the site but we can follow up as needed on here
If the oil leak is at the end of the axles then yes it will be an axle seal and you will need to disassemble the axles to reseal them. I will need some time to look 4 availability of a service manual.
Hi Dan
Here is some background info on this Terex loader: we bought it about 2 mo. ago for snow clearing and it seems to be in fairly decent shape.
Engine is Detroit turbo diesel 471 and it runs well,no smoke or knock, no blow-by, starts well. There are some oil leaks but that is to be expected for its age, hour meter reads about 6000hrs.One thing thou oil pressure gauge goes into the red during idle when it is warmed up. I think it may be due to clogged oil filter because it seems it was there for a long while. We will change the filter and oil for Shell Rotela T1 grade 30 and hopefully that will take care of oil pressure on idle. My main concern is the oil washing down the disc brakes on the right side. We checked and it is not brake fluid so the only other place must be planetary on the inside, the outside of the hub is dry. We run a custom machinery building shop so I thought maybe we could change the bearings and seals on the planetary here in our shop but in order to do that we need some info what is the procedure and would really appreciate the manual.
Thanks, Nenad

Thanks for the info Nenad. This is the same as the 7231B model but finding a PDF manual on this machine is going to be tough since most are printed manuals and what is out there you might find on E bay or through private sales, etc. However, I have rebuilt many loader axles, brake systems, transmissions, Differentials, engines, etc. Please check both front and rear axle housings for a tag or for some numbers as it is likely a ZF or Dana axle. If no tag or numbers please upload some photos and I can put together some instructions for you.

Thanks for the photos. Can you get the center and of the full axle assy?

This is going to tell me how those axle housings are bolted to the center differential to give me a better idea on identifying your axles
What you need to do on your axles is get the machine cribbed up so the wheels are off the ground safely. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Then position The Hub drain plug at the six position to drain the oil out of the final drive hub. Remove the center cover of the Hub and then remove the axle shaft from the differential as it will slide out. With the wheel removed you can access the outer Carver to disassemble the drivehub to get into the bearing and seal assembly. It is best to do this in a level clean shop floor or in cases where you have to you may have to work off of some pallets and some plywood to keep the parts on. You will need to remove the brake caliper after retracting the Piston some with a long pry bar or large C-clamp. We can follow up as needed on here as well if further help is needed.
Thanks for the photos and no you do not have to remove or disconnect anything between the axle and the machine. You need to raise the machine and support it so the wheel you were working on his off the ground... You can do this by raising the machine with the bucket and cribbing the center of the machine with the articulation joint locked with the safety bar lock and when you let the machine down onto the hard wood cribbing blocks or rated stands that will hold the weight of the machine it will allow the wheels to come off of the ground and then you will need to use suitable equipment or jacks to support the remainder of the machine frame safely so it is safe to work on without falling. Once it is in position you will use the procedure that I have already mentioned and the axle on each side slides out of that final drivehub. You will see it when you pull the covers from the hubs. Sometimes the axles have a threaded hole in the center of the shaft to be able to put a threaded bolt and washer or a lifting eye in to help pull and Slide the axle out.
either case you will be working from the sides
I am glad we do not have to detach whole axles. I have seen them remove drive shafts on a semi, they slide out from the spline quite easy. We will weld up some heavy duty stands to support the machine and I am aware of the steering blocking bars in front,I have seen them use them for transport. Our shop is only 3600 sq. feet and we have to ship the machine we are working on right now before we can bring in the loader to start working on it. Once we identify the axle make we will order parts. We wont know if we should change anything else until we open it up.I added some more photos.
Thank you for the update. Go on to the MinnPar website as they sell a lot of aftermarket parts and some parts that are reproductions. They have some listings for some older Terex loaders. I recommend reaching out to them as they have some parts books on their site but it's skip the 60 C however there is a 66c listed that has a similar parts breakdown or axle style in the Han omag manual to help you get an idea of how the hubs will break down.... If you reach out to this company they may be able to get you the proper parts book as well as maybe being able to help with your parts.
Dan, Technician
Hi Dan
Thanks for your help. I have found original factory manuals from Sycamore Ent. Everything is very clear in the manual
Thank you for the update. It's been a pleasure to help.