Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a used Elliot H 70 Crane that I just picked up. We…

Customer Question
I have a used...

I have a used Elliot H 70 Crane that I just picked up. We are stuck with outriggers out and can’t get PTO to rengage. My guy set up the out riggers then shut off engine “while he got ready”” then when he started up engine it starts but as soon as we hit the switch(?) to switch to hydraulics motor dies ?.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Humm looking for it now have the vin # ?if that helps

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

We recently replaced a long hydraulic hose approx 65’ long in process my guy says we lost about 1-2 gallons of hydraulic fluid but seems to still have 85% in reservoir. Neighbor said this type of set up would not need to be bleed so it wasn’t

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok. How does this work what are. Costs ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
I’m heading to the truck now. Will be there in 25 min
I’m here at truck going to try and start it stand by
There is a wire from the center of the “ PTO box that appears to have snapped off. See Poto I also now have it running regardless of whether the the dash PTO switch is on or off . Could we have screwed something up by going out of sequence of when to turn on the switch before or after the physical clutch lever is pulled ?
3/13/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If your PTO will not engage then let me know what type of PTO was mounted on your truck whether it be a Chelsea PTO or Muncie PTO and if air shift or mechanical cable or electrical shift PTO two engaged the PTO and then hydraulics. If air shift you will want to verify when you flip the PTO switch that the air shift on the PTO is getting air to it to shift. If the PTO was confirmed engaged then it's a possibility that there could be a problem with the hydraulic pump if it ran dry for a period of time after the hose failure. Check the hydraulic filter in the system to see if there's any sign of fine metal or debris in the filter or oil that would indicate a component or pump failure is or has occurred. If that is clean you will want to verify that you got good hydraulic supply pressure from the pump to the system. If that checks okay you will then want to confirm that you have power to the controls if you have the electric over hydraulic model for controls. If so you will want to check all your Breakers fuses and relays. Let me know if you need further help with this and please remember to take a moment to rape my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.