Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My deere ztrack with a 25 hp koher engine is shooting fire…

My john deere ztrack...

My john deere ztrack with a 25 hp koher engine is shooting fire from exhaust any idea of problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My ztrak with a 25 hp omv kohler engine is shooting flames from the exhaust any idea of problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes but i haven t tried any thing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

3/11/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

ok where should i start

Dos engine loose power? Excessive gas through the exhaust causes the fire! Check each cylinder for spark by loosing the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. The engine should continue to run, If it dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.

I prefer email

A dead cylinder lets the gas go into the exhaust and causes the fire. We can work here, no need for call.

how can i tell if its a dead cyl

You missed my first response. Scroll up.

it doe not loose power

Run the cylinder test for a place to start.

How do I run a cyl test

Check each cylinder for spark by loosing the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. The engine should continue to run, If it dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.

ok this i will do. should i contact you afterwards or do you want to give me further instructions

I will be here, just come back and we will go from there.

motor continues to run with either plug wire off

OK, so the engine is firing on both cylinders. When did the fire from exhaust show up? Is it using excessive amounts of fuel, like the choke is no? Any back smoke from exhaust?

no black smoke but a smell of fuel at times

Carburetor may have leaking needle valve and the float is not controlling the fuel flow, so it sends excessive fuel to the cylinders. Rebuilding or replacing the carburetor would be required.

Ok I will check carb. Thanks for the help

Thank you!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician