Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

966d wheel loader shfting rough but still doing its job.

Customer Question
966d wheel loader...

966d wheel loader shfting rough but still doing its job. testing trans selector valve shows direction valve readings a bit high ( 370psi ) and speed selector valve pressure very low ( 60 psi ) any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Cat 966D loader working daily but shifting rough. test to trans selector valve show slightly high (370 psi ) on direction clutch and Very low ( 60 psi ) on speed clutch. need advice

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Operating temperatures stay in normal range

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/9/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is your machine serial number?

Is it shifting between gear speeds harsh engagement or difficulty shifting like the cable is binding? There was and update for the shift cable on this model. Let me know

966D Loaders

Description of Change: The transmission control cable on 966D Loaders has been rerouted. The transmission cable now goes through the hitch area instead of over the hitch area. With the cable routed over the hitch area, the cable could bind. This could make it hard to operate the transmission shift lever.

Adaptable As: The improved 3V2688 Controls Installation Group can be adapted to all 966D Loaders. The changes to the 3V2688 Controls Installation Group and the other parts affected are shown in the charts.

To reroute the transmission control cable, a 2V7402 Boss (part of the 4V8288 Engine End Frame Assembly) needs to be welded into place. The dimensions to weld the boss are in Illustrations 1 and 2. The locations of the new parts are shown in Illustration 1. The location of the new 5V776 Hose Assembly is shown in Illustration 3.

Illustration 1. Location of new parts and dimension for welding the added boss in place.

Illustration 2. Location of 2V7402 Boss.

Illustration 3. Location of the new 5V776 Hose Assembly.

Click this link for the full publication

Service info

If the shift controls check okay and adjustments then let me know if it is harsh engagement or slipping, etc between gears. Look for metal/debris in the filter and suction screen indicating an internal mechanical issue if the pressures are okay.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 28 days ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician