Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a volvo ec210cl and the auto idle function is not…

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a volvo ec210cl and the auto idle function is not working all of the time. Just wondering if anyone can help me with where to look for a solenoid or presure switch. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Volvo excavator ec210cl. 2008. Serial number vcec210cj00120519

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment. Thanks

3/9/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. what do you have logged in the monitor panel for fault codes?

Thanks Dan. My name is***** that shows from time to time is boom down pressure fault. This morning when I started the machine and let it warm up the auto idle was sometimes working. With the throttle up a little bit and not touching anything it would rev up and down itself. When the image of the green man would come on its like the auto idle was working and the engine would go back to tick over and for no reason the green light would go off and the revs go back up again. Also it won't track around a corner smoothly like it should when the auto idle function is not working. Thanks
Thanks for the information Mike. The auto idle circuit is a little complex as it composes of engine speed sensors and pressure sensors as well as programming in the Machine controller and calibrations as I'm sure you are aware. The symptoms you were describing lean more towards what you suspect is a possible pressure switch or pressure switch wiring problem. Check on the main control valve for the pressure switches and inspect the wiring harness between the main control valve where it is for damage and corroded connectors or pins. Also make sure that the engine speed sensor is providing consistent engine speed signal as well. I think you were going to find that it's more likely a pressure switch or wiring harness problem. Check for that and let me know if you need further help. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Dan, Technician
How do i check for constant engine speed? I checked yesterday for pressure switches on the valve chest but i don't think there is any on it.from what I can see they're in another block just behind the cab under the fuse box and all the servo pipes are running through this block.is there any one particular switch for the idle? Like other diggers. I'll go through the wiring and connection again to see for damage. I only have this digger with a few months and don't no much about it yet. I'll be getting to no I suppose ��. 2 much wiring. I had zaxis diggers before this one and knew them inside out .ta Dan
You should be able to monitor engine RPM through the monitor panel. The ECU and the vecu communicate between one another and the VEC you get signal from the pressure sensors to know when a pilot Control Function is operated to ramp up the throttle. I will send over an offer for a link of a informational training guide for file sharing to give more in-depth information on the operation of the circuit.

i posted the link in the private contact window above.

It will explain Volvo machine auto idle in detail. Let me know once you have the files so i know when its safe to close the links. Pleasure to help

Thanks Dan. I will check out a few things over the weekend
Pleasure to help.
Hi Dan. I downloaded the files you sent but I can't open them. I don't no why. Even my partner who is good at computers can't open them. I didn't have time to look at the wiring over the weekend so it I'll be next weekend

Thanks for the update. What is your e mail? I will send them direct for you and try that way.

I see they timed out.... Try the link I just updated.

Sent them in separate emails.
Hi Dan. My digger was working fine all along until last night. Back to the same problem again. I rang the main dealer this morning and went through it with him. He brought it down to one of the 400 bar sensors on the pump because it was reading lower pressure on one circuit. I swapped the 2 of them with each other to see if the reading would be low on the other pump but it was not. So then we checked another reading. I can't think of it but it's symbol is made. Milie amp's i think. They should be the same reading on both pumps but one is nearly 100 ma higher than the other. He thinks it could be the ecu. Hope not. There's a new ecu fitted to it 12 months ago and I only bought it 5 months ago. It has less than 500 hours done on the ecu. ��
Thanks for the update. If swapping the sensors did not move the problem with Those sensors and you are sure that the wiring is good and there is no possibility of interference from another circuit into that circuit wiring to throw off the signals then there could be a problem with the ECU. This could also be software-related rather than the ECU itself so if it gets narrowed down to that it might be a good idea to try reflashing the software to reset it to factory settings in hopes that it may be a software glitch.
He was thinking of that all right. It could be worth a plug in and try updating the software even though it should have been updated when it got the new ecu. Im going to have a good look at the wiring again to make sure before I get them out. Thank. I'll let you know how it goes later
Thanks for the update and it's a pleasure to help.