Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Terex 51-19 MD steering wheel turns hard, will not steer. TX…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Terex 51-19...

Second opinion] Terex 51-19 MD steering wheel turns hard, will not steer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

TX 51-19 MD Serial No.657938 Year 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

This machine is real sluggish when cold, had 46 weight oil in it, changed it to 32. Still sluggish. The mode selector switch for steering when I played with it earlier seemed to get it going temporarily. I am thinking possibly the selector solenoid maybe in a position that is locking the steering. The machine is new with only 100 hrs. on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/7/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Steer valve is just a directional valve. Has to have good pressure to it, then the steer selector valve directs fluid to the steer cylinders. Is steering any better if you select only rear steer? Or if you press on the brake, any difference? With engine OFF can you turn the steering wheel?

Selection of mode does not change anything. Wheel hard even when engine is off.?

Do the brakes work? The unit uses a priority valve that should send power to the brakes and steering before anything else, If other functions work, the priority valve may be stuck.

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem?