Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

What is the set screw in the front of the fuel pump for. my…

Customer Question
What is the set...

What is the set screw in the front of the fuel pump for. my was runnig fine and just stoped running like it ran out of fuel but has plenty.getting fuel to the filter and to the enjecter line on the pump

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

3204 953 cat loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

S#45v53781

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/7/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 month ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Can you upload a picture of this screw?

I don't recall a screw at the front. What size is it and is it on anything like a cover?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has a 9/16 nut with a screw driver slot in the end of it. It would be on the end facing the cab on a 953 loader.I t was loose when it died I thought it might have something to do with it

Let me dig a little. I think it is an idle adjusting screw.

I will post something back soon.

Found what I was looking for.

These are the idle screws. I would recommend you remove the screws and check their length. I have seen one break and hold the engine to low idle.

Count the turns to remove the screw and install it the same number of turns. Each screw should be 2 to 3 inches long. If shorter, look for a broken end. Both should have a smooth end.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks

Glad to help.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH

Hello again,

Where you able to complete this repair? Do you need more help?

If so, please let me know.

If not, please take a moment and rate my answers. It is very helpful to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found out that the plunger is not moving to shut the fuel on to let it get fuel not sure what I'm going to do
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to see if can fix it with out taking off the pump

Which plunger? Are you talking about the throttle lever?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one inside the pump.took a plate off on side of pump and you can see the plunger not moving when you move the throttle to kill the motor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I moved it with a screwdriver and it will star
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think so hard to tell exactly.but you can tell when you take the plate off. you can tell the plunger is not moving.some how it has come loose inside

Yes, this can be done without removing the injection pump. (if you can access all the bolts)

However, any mistake in the governor will cause the engine to "runaway" and likely damage or destroy it.

If you have not worked on governors before, I would advise against removing any of the housings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is why we quit on it in Tell we know more about it

How is your experience with governors?

Do you wish to proceed with the repairs or are you looking for someone with experience to help you do this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have some one working on it.he said that he was going to talk to the man who rebuilds enjector pumps

Ok, that for that information.

I will not interrupt your evening further.

If my answers are not helpful and you wish a refund of your deposit, please contact customer service.

Thank you for trying JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks a lot leaning a lot that I really didn't want to know about.if you know what I mean

Yes, I do! I was very fortunate to have a long time and well-experienced technician show me all the ins and out of these fuels systems.

I was lucky enough to get my hands in a few of them before everything went electronic and unit injectors. A great lesson learned and one I hope I don't forget.

I don't find many of these in the field anymore. It is fun to show the young guys how they work though! They don't seem to understand how an engine can run without having power to a solenoid or computer.

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician