Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a hitachi ex220-2 excavator moved it worked fine went…

Have a hitachi ex220-2...

Have a hitachi ex220-2 excavator moved it worked fine went to move later will not move track levers just make a sqeeke sound ever thing else works.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Hitachi 220-2 excavator moved it worked it then later would not track just makes a sqeeky sound in cab when you move foot pedals ever thing else works

3/5/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

All other functions operate normal but travel does not?

Hi I was waiting for a confirmation response from you however I am going to give you my initial thoughts on this and we can follow up as needed if follow-up is needed. If if more than just travel is affected it is an indication of a potential pump failure occurring but if it is isolated to just travel then that is an indication of a problem between the control valve and the travel motors which there is also a rotary manifold in the equation that could be bypassing and its seals. If the other excavator functions are affected it will be more likely a hydraulic pump issue. The quickest way to check for a pump failure is to pull the in tank hydraulic filter being careful not to confuse it with the steel strainer which should never be removed with a full tank of oil. Remove the hydraulic filter in the tank and check it for fine metal or debris that would indicate a pump failure or component failure occurring. This will look like shiny glitter in the oil and filter. Let me know the results. If it is clean and isolated to just travel you will want to check the relief valves for the travel spools in the main control valve for debris and for damaged O-rings that would cause the relief either to stick open or bypass pressure not allowing that circuit to build system pressure. Let me know the results of these checks and if we need to dig further and please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Dan, Technician