Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I Have a D6R Cat C9 Engine SN 4ZF13297 Have a problem

Hi I Have a D6R...
Hi I Have a D6R Cat C9 Engine SN 4ZF13297
Have a problem Stumble/Miss on Acceleration and cant figure it out
it only dose it when i go From Idle to full throttle then it smocks black and stumble then when I drop the RPM down to 1500 and go back up it runs good and no smock then go back to idle and back to full throttle it dose the seam thing
we have Change all the Injectors and NO Different
Change The High Pressure injection pump with a used one and no Different s
Then I run the Actuation Pressure test and at Idle it's 1450 Psi and at full Throttle it flickers between 3000 and 3500 PSI when I keep the Pressure at 1450 PSI or 2050 PSI then it Runs perfect
Please Help Me fix it
3/1/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Can you upload a Product Status Report from this engine so I can review your engine settings and compare them to the factory specs?
I will Do that Right now and get back to you Thanks
Ok Here we go

I am sorry for the late reply. I was out in the field working and had limited access to the internet.

I see this machine has a new engine, can you tell me what happened to the original engine?

Was this engine power tested on a local dyno?

I see the FLS and FTS have been changed from the factory settings, do you know how or why they were changed?

The software is the current file and other settings look normal.

I do see a recent issue with High Inlet Temperature Derate and Warning. Has this been addressed? What did you find or repair?

I am also curious about the very high number tattletale (6021 changes). Has this engine been a problem since it was installed?

It also has 4604 starts per hour. Is the harness new or does the machine have electrical issues?

Why are the Trim Codes on #1 and #6 the same number? I have never seen injectors use the same code before. Are you certain the codes are correct for each injector?

OK no problem
From what I can gather from the customer the original engine blew up-a few years ago and they have replaced it with this one and it worked fine for some years and then the problem started and the local cat dealer came out and said injectors are bad they replaced all of them and made no difference then they said the ECM is bad local dealer program a used ECM and replaced it so all the programming that you see was done by The cat dealer
And injector number six has a different calibration code From what is programmed in The ecm
I would like to send you a video but some how it's not working

If you have a cloud drive, you can share a link from that or upload to YouTube and make it a private video and send me a link.

I would assume if the dealer built the engine, they ran it on the dyno and that is why the numbers are so different.

I have seen issues that are usually due to the injectors. Trim codes can affect it but, normally it would be all of them wrong or not programmed.

I would definitely verify all the numbers are correct and change number 6 to the correct number just as a precaution.

What about the High Inlet Temperature warnings, has anything been done it this problem?

Any idea why it has so many changes made to the ECM?

Has any tried a different ECM? Do you have another D6R with a 4ZF engine you could swap ECMs?

Do you know why it might have some many starts recorded?

Does this machine have starting or charging problems?

It looks like this ECM has been used to play with different settings. I am just wondering if it was one used in a training class?

Ok I will verify all the numbers are correct and change number 6
I dont know where they dealer got the ECM from and No they did not dyno tested
the High Inlet Temperature warnings was because the owner ran the engine whit out fan belts LOL
why it has so many changes made to the ECM? Because The Dealer has Reprogrammed and Reprogrammed it over and over and made changes thousands of times when they could not fix it then five other shops have tried everything so know its at my shop
Nobody have another D6R with a 4ZF engine around here Im in Belize not many D6R here
No starting or charging problems
have some many starts recorded because they have started so many times to try it
I Know the dealer Here in Belize and they don't have Trained Technicians so I dont think they know what they are doing
https://youtu.be/lUC5-VAObJg

Do you think they installed new injectors in it or were trying used ones?

Have you looked at the part numbers on the injectors to see if they are the same, new or REMAN?

Have they checked the fuel pressure and watched it over time and under load to see if it is dropping?

Could the fuel be too hot?

These older engines do not have all the sensors that are on the newer machines so many times these things must be checked by adding gauges for testing.

One thing I do when I have concerns about engine power and sensor issues is to replace the engine harness, (the smaller one for the engine sensors, not the one to the machine harness) and the turbo boost sensor, the atmospheric pressure sensor, and the air inlet temperature sensor.

I have seen a few engine that would run strange when these sensors would read incorrectly. It is a fairly low-cost harness and the sensors are not expensive.

Much cheaper to try than another set of injectors or the ECM.

I don't see the video yet. It may not be finished rendering to their page.

Ok I will check on the video here chortle

Ok, thanks.

Good morning
Did you receive the link to the video or does it not work?
The link opens YouTube but it says the video is not available..

Hello again,

Have you made any progress?

Were my answers helpful?

Do you need further help with this issue?

Sorry I was out for a few days I got back yesterday and I did what you suggested me to do is look at the injectors and see if they are new or Reamand and guess what I found they are not new or reman their old some of them I could tell they had open them with a vice-grip so now he sending them a way to get tested I’m waiting for him to bring them back and see what happens
I will keep you posted
Thanks

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Here (US) CAT does not recommend testing these injectors. The only option I have is to replace them with REMAN parts.

I assume some fuel shops can repair these but, for the longest life, I would recommend the REMANs.

Just remember to record and update the trim codes.

Also, install CAT fuel filters and verify fuel supply pressure is correct and does not drop under load. Only use the priming system on your engine with dry filters.

Never pre-fill fuel filters. This is the main cause of short injector life, right next to poor quality fuel.

I haven't heard anything from you. Are you still working on this?

Have you made any progress?

Were my answers helpful?

Please let me know.

Thanks, CATMASTERTECH

I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you yes you were helpful just last week we finally received the new injectors and the problem is solved now thanks for your help

Great, glad to hear you have it fixed. If you need anything else, please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment and provide a rating. It is very helpful to know how we are doing.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician