Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I've got a 1999 GMC with an Altec Boom 60-foot the

I've got a 1999 GMC...
I've got a 1999 GMC with an Altec Boom 60-foot the Outriggers go out but the upper hydrolics will not engage . is there a relay that could have went bad ? or do you have a better idea of what the issue is .
Answered in 1 day by:
2/21/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Does that have the electronic solenoids on the controls If so, check the solenoids for the issue sounds more like a solenoid and not a relay. The solenoids will be at the spool valves for the controls and will activate the pump. They are like a 2 way switch. If one side of that solenoid is bad, you will get half the controls.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jeremy ,
I'm no mechanic by any means . In fact i don't know if my hydraulics are electric with a solenoid ? But i can assure you to get a five star .

They can be manual or electric. Those booms used both setups and with some, mixed them with electric up top and manual at the bottom.

Where the handle is at the bottom, you will see the block for the handles. If you see wires coming out and not just the hoses, then they are electric and most likely a solenoid is bad. If they are only hoses, then the valve needs to be pulled off and checked to see if there is a bad o-ring in the spool causing a bypass for that function instead of operating the function.

That is the easiest way to tell them both apart. :-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you i will check that out tomorrow, and give you the 5 stars then im at dinner with my lovely lady now

Enjoy your dinner!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're welcome.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician