Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2008 New Holland LS170 skid steer. I was running it…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 New...
I have a 2008 New Holland LS170 skid steer. I was running it last week with no issues and pushing over very small cedar trees. Apparently. I hit a tree stump and the skid steer bogged down and shut off. The hit was very minor and more of a slight push. I immediately started the skid steer with no issues, no strange sounds, no strange odors. I then pushed the release and was unable to move forward or backward and the bucket will not go up or down. The "Transmission Charge Pressure" or Hydrostatic Charge Pressure" (depends of what illustration I look at in my user manual) light came on and a beeping warning sound started.I checked all of the safety equipment to make sure it was not the seat belt, chair safety switch, etc.. I also checked all of the fluids and they are clean and at appropriate levels. When I try to move the skid steer, I feel no resistance in the hand controls or the foot pedals. The engine does no bog down when I push the controls or try to move. All of he hoses appear to be intact and not showing any ruptures or damage. The engine starts up normal and makes no odd sounds. The machine gave no indications that anything was wrong and has never giving me any issues in the past.I'm having a hard time believing the pump just went out. The skid steer has 800 hours and the fluids are changed on time and every time. The pump gave no indication of failure such as being weak or making any noises. I really think that a safety switch went out or something in the machine is preventing the machine from moving to prevent damage. I have checked everything I can possible think of and slowly losing my mind. Can anyone please help....
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/20/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The rear pump is the hydraulic pump, driven by the hydrostatic pumps with a shaft coming off the engine. Loosen line at the hydraulic filter or the outlet line from the pump and see if there is fluid flowing when the engine is running. If not, I would slip the hydraulic pump back and see if it is turning. With charge pressure light on, and no feel from the hydraulic controls it is possible the pump has failed!

Thank you for your response. It is currently raining its butt off and my New Holland is stuck in the woods. I will try your response in the morning and post the outcome.

OK> Thanks!