Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D3B catapillar 1985 model When you move the bulldozer

Customer Question
D3B catapillar 1985 model When you...
D3B catapillar 1985 model
When you move the bulldozer forward or reverse, the left track acts like the brake is locked. Even though the steering clutch and brake is not touched. Have released all tension on the brake band adjuster. Left brake pedal is very loose. What do we need to check for? Suggestions?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/14/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Have you checked the final drive for metal? It is possible a gear could be broken. Remove the drain plug and see if it has any pieces of the gears.
Another issue could be a broken brake band jammed over the drum. You would need to open the steering clutch covers to inspect the brake.
Thanks. I will check on these tomorrow

Great, if you need more help just let me know.

Please post the serial number with your reply.

We have the serial number it is D3B. #23402466

Sorry, that does not look like the serial numbers which I am familiar.

They should begin like these below.

TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR

ModelPrefix

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR23Y

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR24Y

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR27Y

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR28Y

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR2PC

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR3YC

D3B TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR5MC

Oops, that did not post right.

Your serial number will begin with the last three digits in the list above.

Example; 23Y, 24Y, 27Y, 28Y, 2PC, 3YC, OR 3MC.

He will check again tomorrowWhere on the dozier does he need to look for the right number

It should be under the dash or all dozers have it stamped on the left rear upper corner of the tractor. Even if the tag is missing, the number is ***** into the frame.