Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am having a fuel problem with my 308E cat excavator. We…

I am having a...

I am having a fuel problem with my 308E cat excavator. We even took the line off the tank and put in a Jerry can and still quits after few seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have taken the line off to the injector pump and seems to be air coming through still.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

We took line off electric pump also and turn key on should it be shooting out?

2/7/2018
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. If you still need assistance, I will be glad to help you.

To better understand your problem, I need the complete machine serial number. (PIN) This will help me identify how your machine is built.

GBJ01324 serial numberSometimes when the machine starts running like its starving for fuel the engine oil press low light flashes on and off but does not stay on

Allow me a few minutes to research this machine and I will post back shortly.

If the engine is misfiring and the engine speed is dropping, I would expect to see the oil pressure warning to appear.

One known issue is the location of the electric lift pump. It must not be installed vertically but the lines and pump should flow horizontally.

Can you verify the position of lift pump?

The lines are horizontally mounted on the lift pump. We have idling here now and is hasn’t misfired yet we were trying to drain fuel out of it we can get air to go in the drain line but cannot get fuel to come out

The power to the lift pump is on when the key is on. It is also the travel alarm fuse the power comes from. If someone removed the travel alarm fuse, then the pump will not work.

As far as the oil pressure light being on, some reports have shown software or switch issue.

You may need to have the dealer verify this information. See note below.

Problem

Reports of engine oil pressure warnings occur on the machines listed above. Caterpillar is aware of this problem, but a solution has not been identified.

Solution

Communicate with your dealer technical communicator and submit a service request when the low-pressure warning occurs.

If an engine oil low-pressure warning is displayed on the monitor, confirm the following procedures before replacing the pressure switch.

• Confirm the monitor and machine ECM software is the latest version. Update the software to the latest version if required.

• Check the pressure switch connection.

• Note when the warning occurs.

• Communicate with your dealer technical communicator and submit a service request.
Ok we have it running i will note when the oil light comes on. Thanks for your help

The only repairs I have done on these machines is repairing the engine emissions harness as many of the first ones were breaking their wires at the connects and causing emissions code issues. They needed a new harness and the muffler needed new bolts if the were loosening.

Glad I could help. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks for using JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician