Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a deere 310SE back with ZFtransmission. Around a 1995…

Have a john deere...

Have a john deere 310SE back hoe with ZF(###) ###-####transmission. Around a 1995 or 97 year/model.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Has started blowing out foamy oil out the fill nick.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing this myself. I have replaced fluid and filter. Have ohmed out the solenoids and accomplished anp dwaw on solenoids as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The tractor works normal until it gets warmed up then the stopping starts. it acts like you just hit the parking brake

s/n To310SE889246
am I working with anyone? question was sent over an hour ago? let me know if there is any one on this?
2/7/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The oil blowing out the breather seems to indicate that the transmission pump is sucking air. The air then causes the other related shift problems. You say you replaced the transmission charge pump filter? The pump housing has o'rings and seals and if there is any suction leak, it draws in air. See link below.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/TP57/TP57925________UN14SEP98.gif

be up front here, pulling that pump off is no small matter!
I have to choose between that or the control valve assembly.
do you have some experience on this issue or using educated guess?I am also guessing that the pressure is escaping into the reservoir and backing up the return fluid into the gears and whipping it into a foam.both are big jobs

Educated gues. The only way air gets in a system is through the suction side of the system. That is the charge pump.

After charge pump, the system is pressure and can't suck in air.

ok then your final answer is charge pump, and the gears whipping the oil into a foam is not as likely
I'll get on it and see if you get a Chicken Dinner!

Housing can be cracked or o'rings leaking. The most likely place to cause the symptoms.

thank you for your honesty in that you are giving an educated guess.
I'll let you know how it comes out?

Thank you. Let me know.

I am pulling the charge pump off now
I will keep in touch
Will not for get your direction

OK> Thanks.

Also Curtis
Be thinking the next step
If all looks good in charge pump.

Powershift has suction tube # 14, maybe leaking and letting pump suck air?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Well Curtis the drive pump and springs look good, no smoking gun.
I had looked and poked the suction tube in early evaluation from the drain hole and fill tub case fifting. Can not check boring without removing trans.
Am studying manual to decide if I wasn't to pull the control valve or just spools out of the control valve to look for bad springs.
I did not try doing pressure test since the oil foams up. I'm guessing foamy oil would not give realistic pressures.

Yes, foamy oil would give fault reading. I'm still thinking suction leak, as that is the only place air can be drawn into the system!

I want you to speak t o the possibility that the gears are whipping the oil into a foam if or because the resavore is over filling due to pressure being ported wrong direction?

Only way gears would whip the oil would be sucking air or restricted, allowing aeration. But both are related to the suction.

OK Curtis, no winner, winner, Chicken Dinner.
The problem turns out to be a clogged case VENT !
John Deere never speaks of the possibility.
The clogged vent never shows up when you google John Deere equipment or 310SE.
But when you google clogged vent on automatic transmissions my problem shows up OFTEN!
thanks for your help.A little disappointed that had to pull the transmission to discover a simple clogged vent.

Wow! Good job!