Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 320l that the gauges come on for about 10 seconds…

I have a 320l...

I have a 320l that the gauges come on for about 10 seconds when the switch is turned on then goes out and the throttle don't work. The throttle does work in emergency mode. Seems like it got worse over time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

320L 9KK00819

2/6/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What do you have logged for Error or fault codes in the monitor panel?

check all fuses and relays as well as the wiring harness and connector pins for damage or corrosion. do a wiggle test on the wiring harness to see if you can reveal a poor connection in the wiring and manipulate the monitor to go on and off. Verify power and ground is consistent and if so the monitor itself is likely the cause.
Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

All wires and connections have been checked, cleaned, and look good. I have tried another monitor with the same results. when I turn the switch on all lights in the monitor come on and the gauges come on. After about 20-30 seconds all go out. Restart and does the same. The electric throttle also stops working when the gauges panel cut off. Does the ignition switch have a start and separate run circuit. I have one ordered.

Thanks for the update. The cranking position of the switch is separate from the run /accessory position. With access to the switch terminals test power out in all positions and see if power drops off when this happens.... Also check your relays.

The red light and yellow light is flashing on the ecm. If there is a communication problem between the ecm and monitor would it cause the red light to flash also or is the ecm defiantly bad?

if the controller fault symbol on the monitor panel comes ON and stays ON, a problem in the controller system is indicated. The three diagnostic LED's on the controller will provide an indication of the problem.When the yellow LED turns ON, a communication problem with the monitor is indicated.If the red LED is ON (steady or flashing), the Central Processor Unit(CPU) is not functioning correctly and must be replaced.During engine start-up, the three LED's will briefly illuminate. The red and yellow LED's will quickly turn OFF leaving just the green LED ON,which indicates normal operation.

Dan, Technician
I changed the controller. Only green light on now. The monitor come on and goes through test normal. After test it stays on but temperature gauge goes out. The four red alerts and the and alarm stay on. The throttle does not work on auto or manual mode. ( the throttle did work on auto when the monitor was working occasionally and always in manual mode) I have cleaned all connections, checked fuses and relays also changed water sending unit. What's next?

With the new controller , run through calibrations. You can try it through the monitor panel or you can do it through Cat ET connected as well. Click below for the monitor calibration.

Service info

I have a 320l
It has a different monitor

311 (9LJ262-Up, 5PK1001-Up),
312 (6GK393-Up, 7DK3001-Up, 6BL1-Up),
320 (4ZJ597-Up, 8LK1276-1489, 2DL214-Up, 3XM1-Up),
320 L (3XK1909-Up, 9KK1359-Up, 1KL442-483, 4JM1-Up),
320 N (9WG1-Up, 1XM1-Up),
320 S (6KM213-Up),
322 (7WL1-Up),
322 L (8ML1-Up, 9RL1-Up, 8CL1-Up),
322 LN (4RM1-Up),
322 N (9JL1-Up),
325 (5WK1001-Up, 9ZK143-Up, 8NL1-Up, 6RM1-Up),
325 L (6KK1001-Up, 2SL528-Up, 9KL1-Up, 7LM1-Up),
325 LN (3LL678-Up),
330 (9PJ1001-Up, 6ZK64-Up, 8RL1-Up, 2ZM1-Up),
330 L (6SK1001-Up, 2EL332-Up, 9ML1-Up, 5YM1-Up),
330 LN (8CK206-Up) Excavators

Reference: Service Manual Module; Testing And Adjusting; SENR6124, Page 27, for 311 and 312 Excavators; SENR5473, Page 26, and SENR6044, Page 26, for 320, 320 L, 320 N, and 320 S Excavators; SENR5406, Page 26, for 325, 325 L, and 325 LN Excavators; SENR5496, Page 25, for 330, 330 L, and 330 LN Excavators; and Service Manual Module; Engine and Pump Electronic Control System; SENR6155, Page 68, for 322, 322 L, 322 N, and 322 LN Excavators.

New error codes are now used during the Automatic Governor Actuator (G/A) Calibration. The character display readings are used to give guidance to adjust the accelerator cable screw. This new information is being added to the Testing And Adjusting Module for the affected machines as they are revised.

The new error codes will be included to the list of codes shown in the Automatic Governor Actuator (G/A) Calibration. Code [- 52] indicates the governor actuator cable has too much tension. Code [- 53] indicates the governor actuator cable is too loose.

The following notes are being added to the Service Manual Testing And Adjusting Module between Step 6 and Step 7 for the codes [- 52] and [-53].

NOTE: The character display reading [-52] will change to another code as a guidance to adjust the accelerator cable screw. When the code [ 10] is displayed, the "1" position represents the number of turns to rotate the adjusting screw to loosen the accelerator cable.

NOTE: The character display reading [-53] will change to another code as a guidance to adjust the accelerator cable screw. When the code [ 10] is displayed, the "1" position represents the number of turns to rotate the adjusting screw to tighten the accelerator cable.

If character display (4) alternates between [-52] and [ 10] every two seconds, for example, decrease the tension by loosening the adjusting nut of the accelerator cable by one turn. If [ 15] is displayed, then loosen the nut of the accelerator cable by one and one half turns. If character display (4) alternates between [-53] and [ 10] every two seconds, for example, increase the tension by tightening the adjusting nut of the accelerator cable by one turn.

Do you have Cat ET access to recalibrate your governor, throttle, etc??? Recalibrations must be done when a controller is replaced.

The monitor I have may be the same as the list you sent but it is the information you sent was for 320B-330B and it is not on your list and my monitor is different I have a 9KK

Im going to opt out on this one and pass it along to another professional. Other than using Cat ET to calibrate it I dont have this monitor procedure for your monitor. I looked. Hang tight as I alerted another professional that could likely help better with SIS access.

Okay I reached out to another professional who can help with this style monitor. We solved your ECM issue but now you just need to get everything recalibrated to the new ECM. Open a new request for how to recalibrate your monitor panel. He said he would help with that part. Only one professional can get credit on a question. He will be looking for the new request. Hope you are having a great weekend.

He said it will take some time to train you up on using the monitor. ET does not connect to "A" models, all work must be done through the monitor and the hidden service button.