Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat 550 dozer's brakes keep setting while I am operation.

My Cat 550 dozer's...

My Cat 550 dozer's brakes keep setting while I am operation. I have replaced the brake ignition and sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The trouble code looks like an explanation point with dot on end

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 550?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Our mechanic has replaced left and right track sensors, forward and reverse sensors, and the parking brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Initially, def fluid was added to the hydraulic system. We flushed and changed hydraulic filter five or six times.

1/30/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. do you have access to Cat ET diagnostic software to plug into this machine to monitor live parameters and retrieve fault codes logged that will isolate the problem circuit? Also have you been able to run a successful Regen?

I am greatly concerned about the DEF fluid contamination in the system even though flushed the damage might already be too late.

There could be deterioration of seals and other components from the DEF fluid. Cut open some of the other filters for sampling for fine metal or other debris that would indicate a component failure occurring and also I recommend having the pressures tested and confirmed if they are still in specs and Cat ET plugged in to see what fault codes are now logged. Let me know. Sorry to hear this happened to your machine.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hi Dan, Thanks for your input. We pulled all lines off cylinders and flushed. The machine runs fine with the exception of the brakes setting while in operation.
Can you tell me how this service will be billed? I do not want to subscribe to a service; rather just pay for todays' service. Thank you.

Pleasure to help. Professionals are not employees of the site but users like yourself and the site splits the question value, bonuses, and premium services such as added calls etc with the professional on positive feedback or accepted answers, or if a premium service offer is accepted. They do a question to question basis and offer subscriptions as well depending on how you set it up on your end. The site handles all that and that info is not available to us as professionals on the site. We just help the customers and know when a customer accepts or rates so the site credits us for our time helping.

My concern is if the brakes are setting due to low pressure in the circuit or a bypass of pressure from damaged seals etc. or a separate electrical issue. Knowing about the DEF brings the concern about internal mechanical problems rather than electrical. CAT ET to monitor switch status and check error codes will help to isolate this as well as pressure testing and checking to see if any trash is found in the system from a failure occurring in the old filters.

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started

Im out on the road at the moment but post the full model and serial number and when I get back to the office ill be able to pull up some more info to help as well.